tom platz (1 bezoeker)

Bezoekers in dit topic

boforli

Huge Freak
10 jaar lid
Lid geworden
17 mei 2006
Waardering
deze foto kwam net op de beginpagina voorbij. Klasse foto ! Wat n benen had die Platz toch, de quadzilla :thumbup:

[Afbeelding niet meer beschikbaar]

deze foto kwam net op de beginpagina voorbij. Klasse foto ! Wat n benen had die Platz toch, de quadzilla :thumbup:

Tsja, deze twee heren hadden toch wel de meest memorabele benen ter wereld (onder de mannen dan ;) )

Platz heeft desondanks de Olympia nooit gewonnen...

platz is hier toch al op een gevorderde leeftijd zeker ?

ja,hier is tom al op leeftijd.en was hij al gestopt.de mayo naast hem,zelfmoord gepleegd.

Tsja, deze twee heren hadden toch wel de meest memorabele benen ter wereld (onder de mannen dan ;) )

Platz heeft desondanks de Olympia nooit gewonnen...

Ja echt schandalig imo was echt een van de betere in die periode ik snap nog steeds niet wrm die goza nooit echt hoog heefdt geplaast in de olympia

ja tom had mr.o moetenzijn.in als ik het goed heb,1981 tegen franco columbo.was echt schandalijk,franco benen van een reiger,en de rest op z,n rug na was ook zwak.de mayo door overmatig gebruik van groeihormonen en drugs ingestort en zelfmoord gepleegd.

Platz is een fantastische old-school bodybuilder.
Zijn verkeerde proporties tussen zijn boven- en onderlichaam zorgde ervoor dat hij nooit echt heel hoog scoorde.

Platz is een fantastische old-school bodybuilder.
Zijn verkeerde proporties tussen zijn boven- en onderlichaam zorgde ervoor dat hij nooit echt heel hoog scoorde.
Idd toen god armen aan het uitdelen was stond tom nog bij de benen!:D

ja tom had mr.o moetenzijn.in als ik het goed heb,1981 tegen franco columbo.was echt schandalijk,franco benen van een reiger,en de rest op z,n rug na was ook zwak.de mayo door overmatig gebruik van groeihormonen en drugs ingestort en zelfmoord gepleegd.

Idd Franco is de meest overrated bodybuilder ever: goede rug maar voor de rest echt niks speciaals, heel slechte benen en armen wat toch raar is voor zo'n klein mannetje.

Idd Franco is de meest overrated bodybuilder ever: goede rug maar voor de rest echt niks speciaals, heel slechte benen en armen wat toch raar is voor zo'n klein mannetje.

Wederom politiek, vriendje van enz. Arnold was nu definitief gestopt en Franco moest zo huilen, toen hebben ze hem maar een titeltje kado gedaan. Ik vond Franco altijd afschuwelijk om te zien, wel heel sterk dat wel!

The Tom Platz Story - Part 1
The Most Inspirational Bodybuilder Ever Talks About His Unique Time & Place in the Sport

In the ‘80s, when he was in his competitive prime, Tom Platz was the most popular bodybuilder in the world and hailed as the uncrowned Mr. Olympia and The Peoples’ Champion. If there’s one word that sums Tom up it is “passion”. Passion is what drives him in the gym, fuelled his onstage magic, guides the way he lives his life and prepares for the next one. Passion defines him. The aim of this feature is to bring Tom’s burning sense of passion to the blank page. In this first segment of his story listen to his passion, let it seep in and inspire you. There’ll never be another Tom Platz. Part Two will be posted next Wednesday, April 6.

PM: You loved the stage Tom. Expand on that?

TP: Funny you should start with that. Recently a young bodybuilder told me, “Tom, I love to train; for me that’s what it’s all about. But I don’t particularly like the stage part – I don’t see the glamour in it.” That stopped me in my tracks. I said, “What? You don’t see the glamour in the stage? Oh, my God.” I couldn’t breathe for a second, and I said, “Right I have to work with you on the importance of the stage. It has to be just as much fun and as meaningful to you as the gym. I mean, you can have the most muscle in the world, but if you can’t sell it to an audience, nobody’s going to buy it.”

With all due respect to the modern day guys, I think a love of being onstage is often missing. For me the stage was like my food. I could not live without food, and to this day, I love to go on stage. As much as I love the gym, as much as I love going in there and pounding out those reps with the heavy weights, I loved going on stage just as much.

Onstage is where you use every means possible to impress the judges and entertain the fans. You have to have an act that is your own. Our good friend Dorian had an act. He was so big the stage would bend when he walked on. His signature move was to throw his calf back and jam it into the floor so hard that it startled the judging panel and made everyone 20 rows back cover their ears. That was his act, and everybody then copied him. And they copied him by trying to get as big as possible and so we have big guts and giants lumbering about the stage with size being what everyone is pursuing, and what they are rewarded for. I’m looking forward to the day when somebody comes on the scene and invents something new that hasn’t been done, like a Brian Buchanan with Dorian or Ronnie size.

tomp1.jpg

You were the ultimate stage performer. What do you think of current performances where lots of guys go from one side of the stage to the other cupping their ear and asking for applause,?

There’s a guy from the Middle East I’m coaching on presentation. I told him, “You never, ever, ask for applause.” And, he said, “Phil Heath does it, Ronnie Coleman does it, all the top guys do it.” I told him not to do it. I told him I’d never even dream of asking for applause. That’s like a waiter asking for a tip. You give it because they usually deserve it and you want to thank them for the wonderful meal that you had.

The stage is an extension of what you do in the gym, and you take all that hard work and package it and glamorize it to make it a larger than life entity on stage. You have to sell yourself and entertain. You can’t just walk on the stage looking miserable like you’re suffering. It’s not about suffering on stage or in the gym. Being a competitive bodybuilder isn’t some hard burden; it’s not a life sentence, it’s a lifestyle that encapsulates the love and the joy of what you do and who you are. To me the gym was enjoyable, it was wonderful. And, I wanted to tell my wonderful story on stage. I tell the young men and women I work with that your posing is non-verbal communication, and your posing is how you tell your story of what bodybuilding is to you and what it means.

tomp2.jpg

You had maybe the most well-known signature tune of anyone, Ride Like The Wind by Christopher Cross. How did that come about?

It was early 1980 and I was driving to the gym in my ’77 baby blue Corvette along Pacific Coast Highway in Santa Monica with my girlfriend when that song came on. She said, “How about this song to pose to?” Usually I’m very critical, and say immediately, “Nah, that’s not right.” But, I just paused for maybe a good five seconds, and I said, “You know, this might be it.”

It was like the song chose me, not I chose the song. In life I think your career chooses you, you don’t choose it. Ride Like The Wind put me on the path to developing my onstage persona and my public character in general. It led to the flowing blond hair, California beach dude look on which my whole posing routine – running my fingers through my hair, flicking the striations on my thigh – was based As an entertainer who have to perfect your own style, your own brand. Early on I tried to copy Frank Zane’s poses and learned pretty quickly I wasn’t Frank. Nowadays everybody copies everybody else and they get away with it. Nobody invents something new.

In the late ‘70s when I was coming through everyone had a distinct identity. Arnold was the Austrian Oak; that guy that was big beyond belief, and he was Hollywood. And, Robby Robinson was the Black Prince. Danny Padilla, the Giant Killer. So, I had to create a character. I was a big fan of Arnold and Dave Draper and the blonde hair and the whole California beach, “Don’t Make Waves” movie [which came out in 1967 and starred Tony Curtis, the ill-fated Sharon Tate, and Dave Draper]. All that was in the back of my mind as I developed The Golden Eagle.

My whole act evolved from that song. It was something I was supposed to do in life. It was organic how the whole thing developed and grew. It was meant to be. It was like relocating to California inthe spring of 1978; I was 22 years old and had just graduated from college in Michigan. I’d finished second in the short class at the ’77 Mr. America and decided to go to California and prepare for the ’78 event. I wanted to train at Gold’s in Santa Monica, it really was the Mecca. It made no real sense. I came out like an annointed zombie with 50 bucks to my name, no return plane ticket. But I had no choice I had to make that move. There really was no choice. The choice made me, not the other way around.

I ended up living in an apartment with twenty-five people – 15 guys and 10 girls -- all pursuing an individual dream. The apartment was in Santa Monica on Seventh Street right near the 405 Freeway entrance on Lincoln Boulevard. The traffic was so noisy that if you opened the windows you couldn’t hear a thing inside the apartment. I had the couch – very important to get the couch. I got a job at the Pritikin Foundation Longevity Center right by the ocean. They promoted a low-fat, high-carb diet, and I was an odd-job person handing out beach towels and stuff. After four months I was able to afford my own place and moved out of the apartment.

As far as I know everybody from that 25, apart from two, went back to where they came from. The other two who stayed were Dave Zelon who went on to promote bodybuilding shows [several USA Championships and the 1991 Ms. Olympia which was broadcast live on ESPN]. He now works as a producer in Hollywood. And Steve Parris, who created all the clothing for the Gold’s Gym chain and other lines of apparel. We were the last three left standing in LA from that 1978 club.

tomp3.jpg

Tom, what was so special about you was not only the hysteria you created among an audience but also that while doing it they thought of you as one of them who had made good. Other bodybuilders would be treated as if they came down from Mount Olympus but to an audience it was like, “Hey, Tom’s one of us – he’s our guy!”

Well, I really think I was and am one of them. I was one of the – as you would say -- blokes from the working class neighborhood. That’s where I came from and why I can relate to Dorian so well. I come from a Birmingham type neighborhood. I grew up in Pittsburgh where everybody worked in a steel mill. That’s my people, that’s who I am. And even though I developed the onstage persona I did, I was still one of the regular guys. When I went on stage and played The Golden Eagle, I always knew who I was and where I came from, there was no question of that.

At your last Mr. Olympia in 1986 Mr. Olympia, you started to pose to Ride Like The Wind and then after a minute changed to Twist and Shout by the Beatles (See sidebar: Eaglemania). What was the thinking there?

I knew I was coming to the end of my career and I wanted to present something different. I always looked upon the Olympia as a day of celebration. Although the Beatles Twist and Shout was released in 1963 I’d heard it again in the 1986 movie Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and I knew the minute I heard it was the track to fit the day of celebration mood. Again the music really selected me.

tomp4.jpg

The contest was at the Veterans Memorial Hall in Columbus and promoted by Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jim Lorimer. I’ve never seen an audience reaction like the one that happened when you posed. Three times you were brought back onstage for an encore and that never happens. How do you remember it?

After the routine I walked backstage and was in a special zone. I knew the crowd reaction that night had surpassed anything I had experienced. I was walking toward Arnold and he was just looking at me like he was stunned with his eyes as wide as can be. As I got to him he just gasped, “Tom!” And then he hugged me and said, “Wow!” Neither of us could explain or put into words what had just happened, although it was probably something like, “Forget about the money, forget about the trophy. That, that, is the why we’re here!” It was like, “I would train for 25 more years for no money, for one more night like that. That night is a gift from God.”

That was the supreme moment of me connecting with an audience. I knew that audience, because I was a member of the audience for many years. Even as a member of the audience I would watch other members and knew they wanted to go on a ride. And, so having recognized what an audience really wants, whenever I transitioned to the stage, I’d say, “I’m going to give them permission to go on the ride.” Because, I believe an audience wants to be entertained, wants to be inspired and wants to go on that ride in wonderment. So the performer has to say, “I’m up here doing this, but you can come on up here, live it with me and feel the ride. You can feel the love and the passion of what I do, and it’s okay because it’s what you do, too.” And, there’s a willingness for an audience to do that, and I could feel that. When I walked on stage, I could feel the audience being ready to go on the ride, like they were in an amusement park. And, I would make it okay by I giving them that non-verbal permission to ride with me.

In Part Two (to be posted Wednesday, April 6) opens up about how he came to retire so abruptly and how he became the most inspirational and popular bodybuilder of his era.

The Tom Platz Story - Part 2

The Most Inspirational Bodybuilder Ever Talks about His Unique Time & Place in the Sport

In the ‘80s, when he was in his competitive prime, Tom Platz was the most popular bodybuilder in the world and hailed as the uncrowned Mr. Olympia and The Peoples’ Champion. If there’s one word that sums Tom up it is “passion”. Passion is what drives him in the gym, fuelled his onstage magic, guides the way he lives his life and prepares for the next one. In this second segment of his story Tom talks about why and how he retired, and the author explains why Tom is arguably the most inspirational bodybuilder ever.

Peter Cough: So in 1986 you said you were thinking of retiring and in 1987 you did. You once told me you would die trying to win the Olympia. What transpired for you give up that dream.

Tom Platz: I remember I told you in May 1987 I was about to retire. I was realizing it then Peter, with you there as a friend -- I’m getting chills talking about this. Back in 1982 or so I had a cabinet made just for the Sandow trophy; it represented everything to me. And I came to realize I would never fill that cabinet and never did. That being said it was so much part of my dream that I only got rid of it a couple of years ago.

But the decision to retire I guess was fuelled by walking around, all the time having a gym bag full of posing trunks and different copies of Ride Like the Wind and Twist and Shout and for 20 years doing the same thing. Of flying somewhere every weekend for a decade to guest pose. And as financially rewarding as it was and as gratifying as it was to be treated like a rock star, it was time to try something else. It was never about the money. Granted, I enjoyed the money; to make 20 grand a month [worth $40,000 today] posing and selling t-shirts and pictures, that was pretty good.

Not to compare myself but why did Jerry Seinfeld stop doing his show? They offered him more money, millions and millions of dollars more, and he said, “No, I’ve got to do something different.” And, most of us thought, “Why did he do that? He was successful at doing that.” But, he did it for so long and he was so good at it, he wanted to give himself another challenge.

I believe firmly that when you’re uncomfortable that is when you grow. And, I was becoming more and more comfortable with the stage; to the point where I could walk on in less than good shape and still provoke the audience. And, I’m not trying to pump myself up here, but I’m just trying to be truthful to the experience. It was a craft, an organic acting experience, and it was very important and meaningful to my life and my existence. And, it was very sad to say, “I’m not going to do it anymore.” But, much like being the anointed zombie in 1977, coming out to California, I was now the anointed zombie going, “It’s time to close the door, or pull the cord.” Not forget, but just apply it to another arena in life. Nothing lives forever.”

And so a force of nature left the stage nearly 30 years ago, never to return. But his onstage charisma and offstage demeanor left an indelible, unique and unforgettable impression on all who saw him. There was only ever one

Tom Platz and we will never see his like again. Today he lives in Southern California with his wife of 15 years Cha and the couple are idyllically happy

tomplatz3.jpg

MOST INSPIRATIONAL BODYBUILDER EVER
By Peter McGough

The “most inspirational bodybuilder ever” used in the subhead to this article is a mighty acclade to bequeath and there are no doubt those who will be saying, “How about Grimek, Steve Reeves, Bill Pearl, Larry Scott, Sergio Oliva, Arnold, Frank Zane, Haney, Dorian,Ronnie ….?” Well they all have a claim to the aforesaid title but in my humble opinion Tom Platz inspired and touched the hearts of bodybuilders like no other. There were two main factors to his unique effect on the muscled masses. One, his charismatic and empathetic personalty; Two, those friggin’ legs.

Now, arguments might rage about who had the best ever arms, the best ever back etc. but when it comes to discussions of best ever legs – and even though it is now over 27 years since he last competed – there is only one candidate: Thomas Steven Platz, born June 26, 1955, in Fort Sill, Oklahoma, has the best legs ever … period …. Fuggedaboutit! And by legs, we’re talking the whole lower limbs: humungous quads, hanging hams and bulbous split calves. It wasn’t just that he had a volume of muscle that we hadn’t seen before or since, it was that the show stopping mass carried oodles of freaky cross striations and detail. One of the most stupid questions I ever asked (and there’s been a few) was one I fired at Tom: “Where you born with legs like that?” An enquiry that instantly prompted thoughts of pity for his poor mother.

One of the most dreaded phrases in bodybuiding is “Leg day”, and everyone who saw Platz, and moreover had seen photos that as an adolescent he had not been blessed with great legs, could appreciate the gut busting – maybe unprecedented in intensity – workouts that made his underpinining come out tops. They could see – and maybe feel -- the years, months, sets and ball breaking reps that had gone into building the best legs ever.

tomplatz4.jpg

And then there was his the basic good character of the man, who many thought should have been crowned Mr. Olympia in 1981, totally reflected in his Golden Eagle (complete with golden locks) persona. There was just something about Tom that was so special, so engaging, so dazzlingly magnetic, to an audience that the word charisma could have been invented with Tom in mind. All could see that he was a real regular guy, immensely likeable, and that despite his superstardom, he was still one of us gym rats. The man, the body, the charisma, all combined to make his impact unforgettable. The muscle community admired, respected and in the end adored and loved him with a depth I have not seen bestowed on any other bodybuilder.

In the ‘80s his annual seminar tours of the UK attracted unprecedented crowd numbers, and he would be found signing autographs and magazine covers (without charging) until maybe two hours after a seminar had finished, and every fans’ needs had been met. He did a UK tour just about every year in the ‘80s because the audience couldn’t get enough of him. He was the most popular bodybuilder in the world and had a unique empathy that connected and recruited fierce loyalty from the muscled masses. For all ths reasons I nominate him as the most inspirational bodybuilder ever.

tomplatz5.jpg

EAGLEMANIA

No-one, no-one, ever galvanized and incited audiences like the man they called The Golden Eagle. His signature posing music was Ride Like The Wind by Christopher Cross, and when the opening chords of that tune would drift into a packed auditorium the audience would go nuts, knowing the appearance of the sport’s favorite son was imminent. And then there he was before them. He would smile and wink at the audience and the decibel meter woud threaten to go off the charts. Then he would run his right hand through his blond hair while flicking a quad with his left hand before “Boom!” that quad would blast into life with more cross staitions than one could count. Then the decibel meter would go off the charts. You’d seen it countless times, knew it was coming but it never got old. Never, ever, got bloody old I tell you. I never heard audiences create such noise as they did when Tom posed.

Only once did he abandon that music. The occasion was his last Olympia appearance in Columbus, Ohio, in 1986 when he adopted Twist and Shout by The Beatles. It was an entirely apt choice because he caused a near riot among the audience eliciting memories of Beatlemania (yes, I am that old) at its most fervent. Here’s what I wrote of that episode at the time.

“During the pre-judging every Platz movement threatened the foundations of the Veterans Memorial Auditorium. And when it came to the evening posing round, sheer hysteria took over. Coming out to the familiar refrain of Ride like the Wind, Tom, after a minute went into his kneeling thinker’s pose. Whereupon the music changed to the gutsy thump of the Beatles’ Twist and Shout. Jumping to his feet and facing the audience bodybuilding’s number one draw made a play of dusting off his right thigh before flexing it to resemble a roadmap of New York, sending the assembled throng into pure bedlam.

“With the guttural tones of John Lennon screeching away, Eaglemania took over from Beatlemania as Tom jumped from the podium right to the edge of the stage, hitting the audience with every pose in the book- and a few that weren't. After three encores (this wasn't a guest spot, remember – it was a contest) the Eagle glided off leaving a satiated audience gasping for breath. I’ve never seen or heard anything like it.”

Despite getting by far the most riotous recption of the night Tom eventually finished 11th, and at that point we were unaware it would be his last Mr. Olympia contest. But what a night he served up for his Olympia finale.

tomplatz2.jpg

TOM AND ME

I first interviewed Tom Platz in September 1983 in Nottingham, England, when he did a guest appearance at the British Championships. He was the biggest star in bodybuilding at the time and this was my first year earning my living in this industry. I worked for a British magazineBodybuilding Monthly and hesitantly asked this mega-star for an interview. He said, “Sure after the show.” With the contest promoter (ace entrepreneur and then president of the English federation) Ron Davies and his team we went to a nearby French bistro. I thought Tom would maybe give me 10 or 15 minutes. We spoke on tape for 3 1/2 hours; I still have the tape. From that day on we’ have been friends. That first article was published inBodybuilding Monthly and MuscleMag publisher Robert Kennedy saw it and offered me a fee to re-print it. Thus I began doing freelance work for Mr. Kennedy on a path that eventually led to Joe Weider and now Steve Blechman and so far a 24-year stay in the US. So for those who deride my modest scribbling efforts, and wonder why people like me are allowed to stay in the country blame Tom Platz, its all his fault.

Back
Naar boven