shortys94

Novice
Lid geworden
14 aug 2013
Waardering
Massa
82kg
Hey Guys

I am moving to Amsterdam Friday, I will be living in Uilenstede, Amstleveen, which is close to the VU University. I will be living over in the Netherlands for at least 2 years so I want a recommendation of the best gyms in the area.

I know there is a student gym provided by the VU nearby, does anyone know this place is? Sometimes student gyms lack a lot of equipment and arent kept very well, also equipment can be very lacking.

Just want a good gym with a good range of equipment etc... I realise there is 1000's of gyms in Amsterdam but would like recommendations on the good ones which are not too far away from my area.

If anyone can shed some light on this issue it would be much appreciated, going over on my own so no one to ask otherwise!

Thanks
Alex

In Amstelveen you have Special Sports, big gym with everything you want. Includes a swimming pool, sauna area (3 floors) and more.

If your gonna study at the VU, it has its own gym :)

In Amstelveen you have Special Sports, big gym with everything you want. Includes a swimming pool, sauna area (3 floors) and more.

If your gonna study at the VU, it has its own gym :)
Which would you recommend Special Sports or the VU Gym, I cant find any pics or videos of the VU Gym

You can only train there if your a student. Special Sports has much much facilities but is also more expensive.

You can only train there if your a student. Special Sports has much much facilities but is also more expensive.
I am going to be a student, but I dont just wanna join for that reason, is VU gym actually good?

I am going to be a student, but I dont just wanna join for that reason, is VU gym actually good?

Nah if your really into training and its your passion I would not join VU :)

Depends on what kind of training you do. Regular stuff like machines and dumbbells up to 40 kg I believe so all in all a decent gym.

If you want to do weightlifting etc you could check USC at Sciencepark (east Amsterdam). It is a little further away from Uilenstede but you'll get a student discount and pretty much everything you could want is there. Eleiko material and some platforms, a lot of Hammerstrength stuff etc, dumbbells up to 40 kg, some bands and chains, Sorinex rack etc. Good luck.

Special Sports in Amstelveen is only a few km from Uilestede. Expensive, but has dumbells up to 50kg, 1 powercage, 2 squatracks, cable cross and the whole wellness package. The atmosphere is not really hardcore.

Special Sports in Amstelveen is only a few km from Uilestede. Expensive, but has dumbells up to 50kg, 1 powercage, 2 squatracks, cable cross and the whole wellness package. The atmosphere is not really hardcore.
So I guess I should check out USC, Special Sports and the VU gym ?

There is a gym in student campus in Uilenstede area, simple but cheap (35 euro/month, 1 year subscription) - good for students. There is also cheap (30 euro/month, no yearly subscription) but good gym on south of Amsterdam (still close to Uilenstede) called 10fit. There is expensive Special Sports (about 90 euro/month with 1 year subscription). Allsports gym is not that expensive but located way far from Uilenstede.

If You explain what exactly are You looking (powerlifting, bodybuilding, general fitness, etc) and Your budget - would be easier to recommend You a gym.

P.S. I live close to Uilenstede too :)

There is a gym in student campus in Uilenstede area, simple but cheap (35 euro/month, 1 year subscription) - good for students. There is also cheap (30 euro/month, no yearly subscription) but good gym on south of Amsterdam (still close to Uilenstede) called 10fit. There is expensive Special Sports (about 90 euro/month with 1 year subscription). Allsports gym is not that expensive but located way far from Uilenstede.

If You explain what exactly are You looking (powerlifting, bodybuilding, general fitness, etc) and Your budget - would be easier to recommend You a gym.

P.S. I live close to Uilenstede too :)

Bodybuilding Mainly

I do alot of the Spartan Races in the United States and Obstacle Courses, but I really like lifting weights too.

So, visit all gyms in Amstelveen an close by. Everybody there (at least in reception) speaks english: You can see lifting rooms / other facilities and get price quotes.

Addresses:
VU sportcentrum ( http://www.sportcentrum.vu.nl/ ) :
location Uilenstede (main building) : Uilenstede 100, 1183 AM Amstelveen. Phone: 020 598 5090
location vd Boechorststraat 38 (located at Tennispark Buitenveldert) : Van der Boechorststraat 38, 1081 BT Amsterdam. Phone: 020 442 2634
location OZW (located at the VU campus, next to the main building of VU university) : Boelelaan 1107, 1081 HV Amsterdam. Phone: 020 598 3656

Ten fit (http://www.tenfit.nl/ )
Nijenburg 152, 1081 GG Amsterdam, Phone: 020 - 404.4207

Special Sports ( http://www.specialsports.nl/ )
Escapade 1, 1183 NM Amstelveen, Phone. 020 3471717

All Sports: ( [Link niet meer beschikbaar] )
Van der Hooplaan 237, 1185 LN, Amstelveen. Phone: 020 647 13 23

There are more gyms close to Amsterdam-Zuid metro/train station.

So, visit all gyms in Amstelveen an close by. Everybody there (at least in reception) speaks english: You can see lifting rooms / other facilities and get price quotes.

Addresses:
VU sportcentrum ( http://www.sportcentrum.vu.nl/ ) :
location Uilenstede (main building) : Uilenstede 100, 1183 AM Amstelveen. Phone: 020 598 5090
location vd Boechorststraat 38 (located at Tennispark Buitenveldert) : Van der Boechorststraat 38, 1081 BT Amsterdam. Phone: 020 442 2634
location OZW (located at the VU campus, next to the main building of VU university) : Boelelaan 1107, 1081 HV Amsterdam. Phone: 020 598 3656

Ten fit (http://www.tenfit.nl/ )
Nijenburg 152, 1081 GG Amsterdam, Phone: 020 - 404.4207

Special Sports ( http://www.specialsports.nl/ )
Escapade 1, 1183 NM Amstelveen, Phone. 020 3471717

All Sports: ( [Link niet meer beschikbaar] )
Van der Hooplaan 237, 1185 LN, Amstelveen. Phone: 020 647 13 23

There are more gyms close to Amsterdam-Zuid metro/train station.
Cheers yea, its just that I feel as if there is so so many gyms its hard to narrow down which are good you know?

which are good you know?

All gyms here are good - clean enough and more or less properly maintained :) I was for two years with SpecialSports, almost a year ago I changed my gym to TenFit - way less extra-facilities (that I've never used) and luxury but there are two power racks for squat and all other things I need for powerlifting - this is more important to me that a big reception with cute girls.
But maybe for You VU sportcentruum will be also good, it's not bad they just start late (at 8:30). BTW, all gyms provide 1-2 test weeks for free, so, You can train there and understand if it's ok for You.

You also train there or..? :)

---------- Post toegevoegd 14 August 2013 om 17:47 ----------

All gyms here are good - clean enough and more or less properly maintained :) I was for two years with SpecialSports, almost a year ago I changed my gym to TenFit - way less extra-facilities (that I've never used) and luxury but there are two power racks for squat and all other things I need for powerlifting - this is more important to me that a big reception with cute girls.
But maybe for You VU sportcentruum will be also good, it's not bad they just start late (at 8:30). BTW, all gyms provide 1-2 test weeks for free, so, You can train there and understand if it's ok for You.

Ja ben je goed te spreken over TenFit? Wil namelijk ook wel overstappen eigenlijk...

You also train there or..? :)

---------- Post toegevoegd 14 August 2013 om 17:47 ----------

Ja ben je goed te spreken over TenFit? Wil namelijk ook wel overstappen eigenlijk...
I Checked out USC prices and theyre pretty damn good! Would it be better than VU

No, it's a crappy gym.

The UvA gym is much better, they even have olympic weightlifting areas and courses. You can get a student discount.

Back
Naar boven