30 nov 2010
Waardering
Lengte
1m73
Massa
81kg
Vetpercentage
8%
Las net dit bericht vond opzich wel intressant en grappig om te lezen. Dacht deel het even met jullie.

Vertaling naar het nl met behulp van google vind je onder het orgineele

Against The Grain: How Wheat Wrecks Your Health And Physique

Learn why a noted cardiologist believes wheat is what we really need to whack from our diet in order to shape up.

Email More

by Jeff OConnell Sep 02, 2011
Twenty years ago, William Davis, M.D., served on the faculty at Case-Western Reserve University and performed morning-'til-night heart procedures. These were the "Wild West" days when angioplasty and related procedures made their way into hospitals, with surgical implements, drills and ballooning devices serving as the six-shooters.
Dr. Davis knew he also shared risk factors affecting his patients. He heard Dr. Dean Ornish speak at an American College of Cardiology meeting, where Ornish claimed to reverse coronary heart disease with an extreme low-fat diet. So Davis followed suit. He banished meat and added vegetable oils, and relied on "healthy" whole grains. He also began daily 5-mile jogs along the Chagrin River near his Cleveland home.
Much to his own chagrin, he gained pounds, 30 to be exact. His HDL slipped to 27 mg/dl, his triglycerides soared to 350, and he became diabetic.
Since the biggest change he made (beyond cutting fat) was bulking up his diet with "healthy whole grains," he slashed his grain intake to nothing. This dietary reversal normalized his numbers: HDL 72 mg/dl, triglycerides below 50 mg/dl, LDL in a safe range of 70 mg/dl (without drugs). He lost the 30 pounds from his abdomen, and his blood sugars fell back into the normal range. He was no longer diabetic.
"Cutting wheat products in my diet, in particular, proved the dietary turning point that reduced my appetite, accelerated weight loss, and just helped me feel clearer, more energetic and happier than I'd felt in years," he says.
Dr. Davis then transferred this experience to his patients and witnessed similar results: weight loss, especially from the abdomen; reversal of abnormal cholesterol patterns without drugs; drops in blood pressure and blood sugar; and a host of other improvements in multiple abnormal health conditions.
Today, Dr. Davis practices cardiology in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He implores patients to worry more about carbs than fat as part of a preventive lifestyle plan that also includes exercise and dietary supplements. He is the medical director of Track Your Plaque, an online heart disease prevention program. What's more, he has authored a riveting new book, Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health (Rodale Books, 2011), which goes against the grain in more ways than one. Bodybuilding.com spoke with the good doctor about the gut-busting result of America's love affair with a wheat-based diet.
Was wheat ever okay, or has it always been this villain you portray in the book?

DR. WILLIAM DAVIS: We have reports of Celiac Disease described as early as 100 A.D., so it's not entirely a new development that wheat is bad for human consumption. What's changed is that wheat's adverse affects on human health have been amplified many-fold. This all happened in the last 50 years. The version of "wheat" we consume today is a product of genetic research.
Could we turn back the clock to those forms of wheat that haven't been "Frankensteined" by food scientists?

One potential, partial solution might be to resurrect some of the older forms of wheat. If we go back 10,000 years, that would be Einkorn, a simple 14-chromosome wheat plant that still grows wild in parts of the Middle East. That stuff is far more benign than modern "wheat."
But on a practical level, you and I really cannot, to any degree, obtain the forms of wheat that were grown 50 years ago, let alone 100, 1,000, or 10,000 years ago. And I'm not clear on how good of a compromise it would be to bring back some of those other forms, anyway. Even a modest amount of carbohydrate exposure is enough to raise blood sugar, induce physical fat accumulation, initiate inflammatory processes, and cause high blood pressure in genetically susceptible people. So I'm hesitant to say that "old" wheat is a perfect solution.
My solution is simply to eliminate it altogether from our diet. That's where I've seen incredible health benefits among the more than 2,000 at-risk patients I've placed on a wheat-free program.
In your book, you say that two slices of whole-grain wheat bread have a greater impact on blood sugar than a candy bar. How can that be true?

There have been thousands of studies chronicling the blood-sugar impact of different foods. It's been shown repeatedly that wheat raises blood sugar extravagantly, higher than nearly all other foods. That's not even a subject of controversy; it's an established fact, although it doesn't stop dietitians or agencies like the USDA from telling us to eat this stuff that raises our blood sugar higher than nearly all other foods.
It's incredible that we're told to eat foods worse than table sugar. And it's the reason why so many people with diabetes believe they're eating well because they cut their fat and don't eat candy or other food, but eat plenty of whole grains.
Are you wary of carbs in general or is wheat particularly harmful?

I think wheat is the worst of the worst carbohydrates, not only because of the blood-sugar effect but also because it increases consumption. You take the wheat away from the average person's diet, and there's a natural reduction in appetite to the tune of 400 calories a day. That would happen if the only thing I asked you to do is to eliminate wheat. People think ditching wheat must entail deprivation and lack of choice, but there are thousands of foods that have no wheat in them, including plenty of vegetables, meats, cheese and eggs, avocados and olives.
We've lived through 40 years of a failed experiment, which was: Cut your fat and eat more healthy whole grains, alongside the explosion of processed foods. After 40 years of extreme carbohydrate consumption, we've burned out our pancreatic beta cells. We are no longer able to process carbohydrates. I think a lot of that is the legacy of the last 40 years. We're left with this end effect of extreme carbohydrate intolerance. We have to restrict other carbohydrates beyond wheat, but wheat still stands apart as the worst of the worst.
You're a cardiologist, so is there a connection between eating too much wheat and heart disease?

There's a very close connection - that's how I stumbled onto this. The most flagrant cause for heart disease that's rarely talked about is small LDL particles. I've watched small LDL particles explode over the last 15 years. It has become not just common but the dominant pattern we see now in virtually everybody. I'll see maybe a handful of people a year who don't have it, and they're all young, slender, pre-menopausal females who are marathon runners. Everybody else has at least moderate-to-severe degrees of LDL.
There are only two ways to get small particles, the flagrant kind that causes heart disease. One is genetically determined; the other is carbohydrate. I used a very simple line of reasoning. The foods that trigger the LDL pattern the worst, once removed, give you the most extravagant benefits. If wheat raises blood sugar and triggers small LDL particles higher than almost all other kinds of foods, let's see what happens when I took the wheat out of the diet of those with small LDL and high blood sugars.
Patients would come back with much lower fasting blood sugars and weight loss, but I'd also hear stories about how their asthma improved. Leg swelling decreased; mood and depression improved. Other forms of arthritis and inflammatory diseases improved. Crohn's Disease improved. Acid reflux went away. At first, I thought: "This has to be a coincidence. Why would this have anything to do with eliminating wheat from your diet?"
But it became such an incredibly consistent pattern. I do this every day, and I heard patient after patient telling me very significant stories of success, how they were feeling better, looking better, more slender, ridding themselves of medications. It was clear that it was very specific to the wheat. That set me on this course. It all came from this effort to reduce blood sugar and small LDL.
Your book argues that the whole gluten-free craze in food marketing is, well, kind of a crock. Can you elaborate on why you think this?

People who eliminate wheat will often turn to gluten-free foods. In fact, most doctors who diagnose patients with Celiac Disease will say, "Go eat gluten-free foods." What they're telling their patients to do is seek out foods that are not made with wheat gluten but are instead made with corn starch, potato starch, rice starch, brown rice starch or tapioca starch. Well, the only foods that raise blood sugar MORE than whole wheat are corn starch, rice starch, potato starch, and tapioca starch. These are flagrant, rapidly-digested carbohydrates when they're in the powdered form as presented in gluten-free foods.
It's not uncommon for someone to go on a gluten-free diet and find that their diarrhea and cramps are now gone. Only now, they're diabetic and fat. While those foods don't trigger the immune phenomena, they trigger the carbohydrate phenomena worse than table sugar. So "gluten-free, multigrain bread" sounds for all the world like a great thing. Well, it's terrible for you.
We have a lot of young male bodybuilders visit our site. Why should they be interested in a book like Wheat Belly?

If they're trying to cut body fat, this will help them understand that the No. 1 step is to eliminate wheat, even before sugars. In fact, given the choice of two slices of whole wheat bread or a Milky Way bar, I'd take the Milky Way bar. I'd rather they choose neither, but the wheat is worse. That's not what we're being told, of course. Wheat is the most flagrant trigger of visceral fat, and removing wheat is the most effective path to remove [visceral fat]. Any guy trying to get cut for a competition will find that eliminating wheat and carbohydrate reduction are the most effective way to cut fat.
So a wheat belly ain't a 6-pack, is what you're saying? Since you are a cardiologist, can you offer some heart health tips for guys age 20 to 35 - tips that might pay them dividends when they're 40 or 50?

Everyone is focused on reducing total cholesterol, which is the wrong way to think about preventing heart disease. What matters the most is following strategies that reduce the expression of the small LDL particle. We can't do anything about the genetically programmed part of it, but we can do a whole bunch about the carbohydrate-triggered form of LDL. So I would suggest that cutting out wheat and reducing carbohydrates is a huge first step in cutting heart-disease risk.
Another very important thing is normalizing blood levels of vitamin D. What I do is use gel cap forms to try to achieve a 25-hydroxy vitamin D blood level of between 50-to-70 nanograms per milliliter. Do that, and muscle performance improves, coordination improves, mental clarity improves, mood improves and winter blues go away.
The Russians have known about this for decades. They noticed the inconsistent performance in their weight lifters and their power lifters. How they could lift heavier in the warm weather? Well, exposure to sunlight increases our ability to produce vitamin D. So they've been supplementing vitamin D year-round to their power lifters for decades. That's advice your crowd can use, including people who use weight training, strength training and bodybuilding. Vitamin D is hugely crucial for their success.

1. Het internet
  2. Afbeeldingen
  3. Video's
  4. Maps
  5. Nieuws
  6. Shopping
  7. Gmail
  8. meer

1. Aanmelden
  2. http://www.google.nl/preferences?hl=nl

http://translate.google.nl/?hl=nl

Vertaling

Against The Grain: Hoe Tarwe Wrakken uw gezondheid en lichaamsbouw
Leer waarom een ​​bekende cardioloog gelooft tarwe is wat we echt nodig om te slaan uit onze voeding om in vorm.

E-mail Meer
door Jeff OConnell 02 september 2011

Twintig jaar geleden, William Davis, MD, geserveerd op de faculteit aan de Case Western Reserve University-en uitgevoerd ochtend-'til-night hart procedures. Dit waren de "Wilde Westen" dag bij angioplastiek en de daarmee samenhangende procedures hun weg gemaakt in ziekenhuizen, met chirurgische werktuigen, boren en ballonvaren-apparaten dienen als de zes-shooters.

Dr Davis wist dat hij ook het risico factoren die van invloed zijn patiënten gedeeld. Hij hoorde Dr Dean Ornish spreken tijdens een American College of Cardiology bijeenkomst, waar Ornish beweerde dat coronaire hartziekten omkeren met een extreem lage-vet dieet. Dus Davis volgde. Hij verbannen vlees en toegevoegde plantaardige oliën, en rekende op "gezond" volle granen. Hij begon ook dagelijks 5-mijl joggen langs de rivier de Chagrin de buurt van zijn huis Cleveland.

Tot zijn eigen ongenoegen, kreeg hij pond, 30 om precies te zijn. Zijn HDL gleed tot 27 mg / dl, triglyceriden zijn gestegen tot 350, en hij werd diabetes.

Omdat de grootste verandering die hij maakte (na het snijden vet) was bulking up zijn dieet met "gezonde volle granen," hij sneed zijn graan intake tot niets. Dit dieet omkering genormaliseerde zijn nummers: HDL 72 mg / dl, triglyceriden lager dan 50 mg / dl, LDL in een veilige bereik van 70 mg / dl (zonder drugs). Hij verloor de 30 pond uit zijn buik, en zijn bloed suikers viel terug in het normale bereik. Hij was niet langer diabetes.

"Snijden tarweproducten in mijn dieet, in het bijzonder, de voeding keerpunt dat mijn eetlust, versnelde gewichtsverlies, en net hielp me het gevoel duidelijker minder bewezen, energieker en gelukkiger dan ik had gevoeld in jaren", zegt hij.

Dr Davis vervolgens overgebracht deze ervaring aan zijn patiënten en was getuige van vergelijkbare resultaten: gewichtsverlies, in het bijzonder uit de buik, omkering van de abnormale cholesterol patronen zonder drugs, daalt de bloeddruk en bloedsuiker, en tal van andere verbeteringen in meerdere abnormale gezondheidsvoorschriften .

Vandaag de dag, Dr Davis praktijken cardiologie in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Hij smeekt patiënten om meer informatie over koolhydraten dan vet zorgen te maken als onderdeel van een preventieve levensstijl plan dat ook uit te oefenen en voedingssupplementen. Hij is de medisch directeur van Track Your Plaque, een online hart-en vaatziekten preventieprogramma. Wat meer is, heeft hij auteur van een meeslepende nieuwe boek, Tarwe Belly: Lose de Tarwe, Lose het gewicht, en Back Vind uw weg naar gezondheid (Rodale Books, 2011), die tegen het graan gaat in meer dan een manier. Bodybuilding.com sprak met de goede arts over de darm-busting resultaat van de liefde Amerika's affaire met een tarwe-gebaseerde dieet.
Was tarwe ooit goed, of heeft het altijd deze schurk je beelden in het boek is?

DR. William Davis: We hebben rapporten van Coeliakie omschreven als al in 100 na Christus, dus het is niet helemaal een nieuwe ontwikkeling die tarwe slecht is voor menselijke consumptie. Wat is er gewijzigd is dat de tarwe de nadelige effecten op de menselijke gezondheid zijn vele malen versterkt. Dit alles gebeurde in de afgelopen 50 jaar. De versie van "tarwe" die we vandaag verbruiken is een product van genetisch onderzoek.
Kunnen we draaien de klok terug naar die vormen van tarwe die niet zijn "Frankensteined" door voedsel wetenschappers?

Een mogelijke, gedeeltelijke oplossing zou kunnen zijn een aantal van de oudere vormen van tarwe leven in te blazen. Als we terug gaan 10.000 jaar, dat zou Einkorn, een eenvoudige 14-chromosoom tarwe plant die nog steeds wild groeit in delen van het Midden-Oosten. Dat spul is veel meer goedaardige dan de moderne "tarwe."

Maar op een praktisch niveau, je echt en ik kan niet, in enigerlei mate, de vormen van tarwe die waren 50 jaar geleden gegroeid te krijgen, laat staan ​​100, 1.000 of 10.000 jaar geleden. En ik ben niet duidelijk over hoe goed van een compromis zou het terug te brengen sommige van die andere vormen, toch. Zelfs een bescheiden hoeveelheid koolhydraten blootstelling is voldoende om de bloedsuikerspiegel te verhogen, veroorzaken fysieke vetophopingen, initiëren inflammatoire processen, en de oorzaak van hoge bloeddruk bij genetisch gevoelige mensen. Dus ik ben huiverig om te zeggen dat "oude" tarwe is een perfecte oplossing.

Mijn oplossing is gewoon om helemaal te elimineren uit onze voeding. Dat is waar ik heb ongelooflijke voordelen voor de gezondheid gezien onder de meer dan 2000 at-risk patiënten die ik heb geplaatst op een tarwe-vrij programma.
In uw boek zegt u dat twee sneetjes volkoren bruin brood een groter effect op de bloedsuikerspiegel dan een candy bar. Hoe kan dat waar zijn?

Er zijn duizenden studies chroniqueur van het bloed-suiker gevolgen van de verschillende voedingsmiddelen. Het is al herhaaldelijk dat tarwe bloedsuikerspiegel verhoogt extravagant getoond, hoger dan bijna alle andere voedingsmiddelen. Dat is niet eens een onderwerp van controverse, het is een vaststaand feit, hoewel het niet diëtisten of instanties zoals de USDA stoppen van het vertellen van ons om dit soort dingen, dat verhoogt onze bloedsuiker hoger is dan vrijwel alle andere voedingsmiddelen te eten.

Het is ongelooflijk dat we vertelden om voedsel te eten erger dan tafel suiker. En het is de reden waarom zo veel mensen met diabetes geloven dat ze goed eten, omdat ze sneden hun vet en eet geen snoep of andere voedsel, maar eet veel volle granen.
Ben je hoede voor koolhydraten in het algemeen of tarwe is bijzonder schadelijk?

Ik denk dat tarwe is de slechtste van het slechtste koolhydraten, niet alleen vanwege de bloed-suiker effect, maar ook omdat het de consumptie. U neemt de tarwe uit de buurt van de gemiddelde persoon het dieet, en er is een natuurlijke afname van de eetlust voor een bedrag van 400 calorieën per dag. Dat zou gebeuren als het enige wat ik vraag u om te doen is het elimineren van tarwe. Mensen denken noodlanding op het water tarwe moet ontbering en het gebrek aan keuze met zich meebrengen, maar er zijn duizenden van voedingsmiddelen die geen tarwe in hen hebben, waaronder tal van groenten, vlees, kaas en eieren, avocado's en olijven.

We hebben meegemaakt 40 jaar van een mislukt experiment, dat was: Knip je vet en eet meer gezonde volle granen, naast de explosie van verwerkte voedingsmiddelen. Na 40 jaar van extreme consumptie van koolhydraten, hebben we verbrand onze bètacellen in de pancreas. We zijn niet meer in staat om koolhydraten verwerken. Ik denk dat veel van dat is de erfenis van de laatste 40 jaar. We zijn vertrokken met Daartoe effect van extreme koolhydraten intolerantie. We moeten andere koolhydraten dan tarwe te beperken, maar tarwe staat nog steeds uit elkaar als de slechtste van het slechtste.
Je bent een cardioloog, zo is er een verband tussen het eten van te veel tarwe en hart-en vaatziekten?

Er is een zeer nauwe band - dat is hoe ik struikelde op deze. De meest flagrante oorzaak voor hart-en vaatziekten wordt zelden over gesproken is klein LDL-deeltjes. Ik heb gezien hoe kleine LDL-deeltjes exploderen in de afgelopen 15 jaar. Het is inmiddels niet alleen vaak voor, maar het dominante patroon zien we nu in vrijwel iedereen. Ik zal misschien zie een handjevol mensen een jaar die het niet hebben, en ze zijn allemaal jong, slank, pre-menopauzale vrouwen die marathonlopers. Iedereen heeft ten minste een matige tot ernstige mate van LDL.

Er zijn slechts twee manieren om kleine deeltjes, de flagrante soort dat hart-en vaatziekten veroorzaakt te krijgen. Een daarvan is genetisch bepaald, de andere is koolhydraten. Ik gebruikte een heel eenvoudige redenering. De voedingsmiddelen die de LDL-patroon het ergste, een keer verwijderd trigger, geven u de meest extravagante voordelen. Als tarwe verhoogt de bloedsuikerspiegel en triggers kleine LDL-deeltjes groter dan bijna alle andere soorten voedsel, laten we eens zien wat er gebeurt toen ik de tarwe uit het dieet van de mensen met kleine LDL en een hoge bloedsuikers.

Patiënten terug zou komen met een veel lagere nuchtere bloedsuikerwaarden en gewichtsverlies, maar ik hoor ook verhalen over hoe hun astma verbeterd. Been zwelling afgenomen; euforie en depressie verbeterd. Andere vormen van artritis en inflammatoire aandoeningen verbeterd. De ziekte van Crohn verbeterd. Zure reflux ging weg. In eerste instantie dacht ik: "Dit moet een toeval Waarom zou dit iets te maken hebben met het elimineren van tarwe uit uw dieet.?"

Maar het werd zo'n een ongelooflijk consistent patroon. Ik doe dit elke dag, en ik hoorde patiënt na te vertellen me zeer belangrijke verhalen van succes, hoe ze zich voelden beter, op zoek naar beter, slanker, ontdoen zich van medicijnen. Het was duidelijk dat het zeer specifiek voor de tarwe. Dat zette mij op deze cursus. Het kwam uit deze inspanning om de bloedsuikerspiegel en kleine LDL verminderen.
Uw boek stelt dat de hele glutenvrij rage in voedsel marketing is goed,, een soort flauwekul. Kunt u ingaan op waarom je denkt dat dit?

Mensen die te elimineren tarwe wenden zich vaak tot gluten-vrij voedsel. In feite zijn de meeste artsen die patiënten te diagnosticeren met coeliakie zal zeggen: "Ga eten gluten-vrij voedsel." Wat ze vertellen hun patiënten te doen is het zoeken naar voedsel dat niet zijn gemaakt met tarwegluten, maar in plaats daarvan gemaakt met maïszetmeel, aardappelzetmeel, rijstzetmeel, bruine rijst zetmeel of tapioca zetmeel. Nou ja, het enige voedsel dat de bloedsuikerspiegel MEER dan de hele tarwe te verhogen zijn maïszetmeel, rijstzetmeel, aardappelzetmeel, tapioca en zetmeel. Dit zijn flagrante, snel verteerbare koolhydraten als ze in de poedervorm zoals gepresenteerd in gluten-vrij voedsel.

Het is niet ongewoon voor iemand te gaan op een gluten-vrij dieet en vinden dat hun diarree en krampen zijn nu verdwenen. Pas nu, ze zijn diabetische en vet. Terwijl deze voedingsmiddelen niet leiden tot het immuunsysteem verschijnselen, ze leiden tot de koolhydraten verschijnselen erger dan tafel suiker. Dus "gluten-vrij, meergranen brood" klinkt voor de hele wereld als een groot ding. Nou, het is vreselijk voor je.
We hebben veel jonge mannelijke bodybuilders onze site bezoekt. Waarom zouden ze geïnteresseerd zijn in een boek als Tarwe Belly?

Als ze proberen om lichaamsvet te knippen, zal dit hen helpen te begrijpen dat de nummer een stap is om tarwe te elimineren, zelfs voordat suikers. In feite, gezien de keuze uit twee sneetjes volkoren brood of een melkweg bar, zou ik neem de Melkweg bar. Ik heb liever dat ze kiezen ook niet, maar het koren is nog erger. Dat is niet wat we te horen, natuurlijk. Tarwe is de meest flagrante trekker van visceraal vet, en het verwijderen van tarwe is de meest effectieve weg naar [visceraal vet] te verwijderen. Elke man probeert te krijgen snijden voor een wedstrijd vindt dat het elimineren van tarwe en koolhydraten vermindering zijn de meest effectieve manier te snijden vet.
Dus een tarwe buik is niet een 6-pack, dat is wat je zegt? Aangezien u een cardioloog, dan kunt u bieden een aantal gezondheid van het hart tips voor jongens 20-jarigen tot 35 - tips die zouden kunnen betalen dividenden als ze 40 of 50?

Iedereen is gericht op het verminderen van totaal cholesterol, dat is de verkeerde manier om na te denken over het voorkomen van hart-en vaatziekten. Wat telt het meest wordt volgende strategieën dat de expressie van de kleine LDL-deeltjes te verminderen. We kunnen niets doen over de genetisch geprogrammeerd deel ervan, maar we kunnen een hele hoop te doen over de koolhydraat-triggered vorm van LDL. Dus ik zou suggereren dat het uitsnijden van tarwe en het verminderen van koolhydraten is een grote eerste stap bij het terugdringen van hart-en vaatziekten risico.

Een ander heel belangrijk ding is normaliseren bloedspiegels van vitamine D. Wat ik doe is gebruik gel cap formulieren om te proberen een 25-hydroxy-vitamine D-niveau in het bloed van de te bereiken tussen de 50-tot-70 nanogram per milliliter. Doe dat, en spier-prestaties verbetert, de coördinatie verbetert, mentale helderheid verbetert, de stemming verbetert en de winter blues weg te gaan.

De Russen hebben bekend is over dit voor decennia. Ze zagen het inconsistente prestaties in hun gewichtheffers en hun macht lifters. Hoe konden ze zwaarder lift in het warme weer? Nou ja, de blootstelling aan zonlicht verhoogt ons vermogen om vitamine D te produceren Dus ze zijn ter aanvulling van vitamine D het hele jaar door aan hun macht lifters voor decennia. Dat is het advies van uw publiek kunnen gebruiken, waaronder mensen die gebruik maken van gewicht opleiding, krachttraining en bodybuilding. Vitamine D is enorm cruciaal voor hun succes.

Zo zie je maar weer dat het feit dat je arts bent, niets hoeft te zeggen over je vermogen om resultaten uit wetenschappelijk onderzoek te kunnen interpreteren.

Indien je een correlatie ziet bij één enkel persoon, lijkt het mij logisch dat je vervolgens even de moeite neemt om te kijken of dit soort correlaties ook zijn gevonden bij grote groepen mensen. Dat is immers wat je tijdens je opleiding als cardioloog hebt geleerd en dat is stevens de manier waarop de medicijnen die je voorschrijft zijn onderzocht (namelijk in grote groepen mensen).

1) Effect op het cholesterol. Verlaging totaal- en LDL-cholesterol:

Wholegrain cereals for coronary heart disease.
BACKGROUND: There is increasing evidence from observational studies that wholegrains can have a beneficial effect on risk factors for coronary heart disease (CHD).
OBJECTIVES: The primary objective is to review the current evidence from randomised controlled trials (RCTs) that assess the relationship between the consumption of wholegrain foods and the effects on CHD mortality, morbidity and on risk factors for CHD, in participants previously diagnosed with CHD or with existing risk factors for CHD.
SEARCH STRATEGY: We searched CENTRAL (Issue 4, 2005), MEDLINE (1966 to 2005), EMBASE (1980 to 2005), CINAHL (1982 to 2005), ProQuest Digital Dissertations (2004 to 2005). No language restrictions were applied.
SELECTION CRITERIA: We selected randomised controlled trials that assessed the effects of wholegrain foods or diets containing wholegrains, over a minimum of 4 weeks, on CHD and risk factors. Participants included were adults with existing CHD or who had at least one risk factor for CHD, such as abnormal lipids, raised blood pressure or being overweight.
DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS: Two of our research team independently assessed trial quality and extracted data. Authors of the included studies were contacted for additional information where this was appropriate.
MAIN RESULTS: Ten trials met the inclusion criteria. None of the studies found reported the effect of wholegrain diets on CHD mortality or CHD events or morbidity. All 10 included studies reported the effect of wholegrain foods or diets on risk factors for CHD. Studies ranged in duration from 4 to 8 weeks. In eight of the included studies, the wholegrain component was oats. Seven of the eight studies reported lower total and low density lipoproteins (LDL) cholesterol with oatmeal foods than control foods. When the studies were combined in a meta-analysis lower total cholesterol (-0.20 mmol/L, 95% confidence interval (CI) -0.31 to -0.10, P = 0.0001 ) and LDL cholesterol (0.18 mmol/L, 95% CI -0.28 to -0.09, P < 0.0001) were found with oatmeal foods. However, there is a lack of studies on other wholegrains or wholegrain diets.
AUTHORS' CONCLUSIONS: Despite the consistency of effects seen in trials of wholegrain oats, the positive findings should be interpreted cautiously. Many of the trials identified were short term, of poor quality and had insufficient power. Most of the trials were funded by companies with commercial interests in wholegrains. There is a need for well-designed, adequately powered, longer term randomised controlled studies in this area. In particular there is a need for randomised controlled trials on wholegrain foods and diets other than oats.
Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17443567

2) Effect op het risico op hart- en vaatziekten. Een consistent beschermend effect:

Whole grain intake and cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis.
BACKGROUND AND AIMS: Whole grain food sources have been associated with lowered risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD). Studies in recent years have strengthened this observation and elucidated potential mechanisms for this association. This study sought to quantitate the available observational evidence on whole grain intake and clinical cardiovascular events.
METHODS AND RESULTS: Seven prospective cohort studies with quantitative measures of dietary whole grains and clinical cardiovascular outcomes were identified from MEDLINE searches and a review of the literature. Based on event estimates adjusted for cardiovascular risk factors, greater whole grain intake (pooled average 2.5 servings/d vs. 0.2 servings/d) was associated with a 21% lower risk of CVD events [OR 0.79 (95% CI: 0.73-0.85)]. Similar estimates were noted for different CVD outcomes (heart disease, stroke, fatal CVD) and in coïtus-specific analyses. Conversely, refined grain intake was not associated with incident CVD events [1.07 (0.94-1.22)].
CONCLUSIONS: There is a consistent, inverse association between dietary whole grains and incident cardiovascular disease in epidemiological cohort studies. In light of this evidence, policy-makers, scientists, and clinicians should redouble efforts to incorporate clear messages on the beneficial effects of whole grains into public health and clinical practice endeavors.
Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17449231

3) Effect op het risico op diabetes. Een beschermend effect:

Whole grain, bran, and germ intake and risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study and systematic review.
BACKGROUND: Control of body weight by balancing energy intake and energy expenditure is of major importance for the prevention of type 2 diabetes, but the role of specific dietary factors in the etiology of type 2 diabetes is less well established. We evaluated intakes of whole grain, bran, and germ in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes in prospective cohort studies.
METHODS AND FINDINGS: We followed 161,737 US women of the Nurses' Health Studies (NHSs) I and II, without history of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or cancer at baseline. The age at baseline was 37-65 y for NHSI and 26-46 y for NHSII. Dietary intakes and potential confounders were assessed with regularly administered questionnaires. We documented 6,486 cases of type 2 diabetes during 12-18 y of follow-up. Other prospective cohort studies on whole grain intake and risk of type 2 diabetes were identified in searches of MEDLINE and EMBASE up to January 2007, and data were independently extracted by two reviewers. The median whole grain intake in the lowest and highest quintile of intake was, respectively, 3.7 and 31.2 g/d for NHSI and 6.2 and 39.9 g/d for NHSII. After adjustment for potential confounders, the relative risks (RRs) for the highest as compared with the lowest quintile of whole grain intake was 0.63 (95% confidence interval [CI] 0.57-0.69) for NHSI and 0.68 (95% CI 0.57-0.81) for NHSII (both: p-value, test for trend <0.001). After further adjustment for body mass index (BMI), these RRs were 0.75 (95% CI 0.68-0.83; p-value, test for trend <0.001) and 0.86 (95% CI 0.72-1.02; p-value, test for trend 0.03) respectively. Associations for bran intake were similar to those for total whole grain intake, whereas no significant association was observed for germ intake after adjustment for bran. Based on pooled data for six cohort studies including 286,125 participants and 10,944 cases of type 2 diabetes, a two-serving-per-day increment in whole grain consumption was associated with a 21% (95% CI 13%-28%) decrease in risk of type 2 diabetes after adjustment for potential confounders and BMI.
CONCLUSIONS: Whole grain intake is inversely associated with risk of type 2 diabetes, and this association is stronger for bran than for germ. Findings from prospective cohort studies consistently support increasing whole grain consumption for the prevention of type 2 diabetes.
Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1952203/?tool=pubmed

Hieronder zie je een overzicht van de studies naar het effect van volkoren graanproducten op het risico op diabetes. De verticale lijn waar "1" bij staat, staat voor géén effect. Een vierkantje aan de linkerkant van deze lijn, staat voor een beschermend effect. Een vierkantje aan de rechterkand van de lijn, staat voor een verhoogd risico. Je ziet dat alle 6 de vierkantjes links van de lijn staan. Dat betekent dat in alle 6 de studies een beschermend effect is gevonden. Vijf van de zes keer was dit effect zelfs beschermend. Dat kun je zien aan de horizontale lijn die door het vierkantje heen staat. Indien deze geen contact heeft met de verticale "1" lijn, is een effect significant:
23tf62r.jpg

Er zitten wat haken en ogen aan de resultaten. Zo is het aantal studies naar de genoemde effecten vrij klein, en zijn de onderzoeksgroepen niet bijzonder groot. Maar één van de kenmerken voor een mogelijk causaal effect, is dat een effect (vrij) consistent wordt gevonden. Dat kan in het geval van volkoren graanproducten tot nu toe gezegd worden. :)

Back
Naar boven