XXL Nutrition

Interview met Alexander Fedorov (flex, juni 2005)

Bezoekers in dit topic

Pascal

Ripped Bodybuilder
15 jaar lid
Lid geworden
13 sep 2003
Waardering
This month I would like to use my column to introduce you to another great bodybuilding champion, raising IFBB star Alexander Fedorov.
I followed his career since his dominating overall victory at the IFBB European Championships 2003.
As the matter of fact – when I saw his photos from that show I knew that he was destined for greatness.
While in New York (competing at the 2003 NOC) I was approached by a Russian fan that asked me if I know about Alex and what I think about his chances at the pro level of the IFBB?
I was surrounded with some IFBB pros at the time and I remember that my answer shocked many of them.
I said:” He could easily win this show (2003 NOC) and he would give run for a money to all the top guys at the Olympia!”
Later that year I decided to come to Moscow and see Russian Grand Prix – only days after the 2003 Mr. Olympia.
At the press conference commentator of the Russian TV station asked me almost the same question – “Milos, what do you think about Alex’s chances at the Russian Grand Prix?”
I said:” He can make a top three and qualify for the 2004 Mr. Olympia!”
I remember the “uncomfortable” silence and looks of the few guys who were surprised with my answer.
Russian commentator continued: “ But Milos, Ronnie is here, Jay is here and five more Olympia competitors…”
I said:” I am aware of that.”
Pro division chairman at the time (Wayne De Millia) came to me and asked me:” Milos, are you serious?”
I told him:” As a heart attack. Ronnie and Jay better be in shape or they’ll be in serious trouble!”
Day later Alexander placed third behind Ronnie and Jay and actually managed to beat Jay in second round on some of the judging score sheets!
However, it was noticeable that Alexander sustained serious injury – a “peck tear” since he competed on the European championships few months before.

That was the last time I’ve seen Alex – until the other day (late November ’04) when he unexpectedly showed up in my gym in Fullerton!
He was in California for a week (Flex magazine photo shoot) and I used that opportunity to really get to know him. Needless to say we became a friends and I am delighted to bring you this interview – true introduction of another Alexander who can be called “the great”!

MS: “ Alex, tell us how old you really are as seems to be a lot of people openly question your true age.”

AF:“ I am 26 years old, born on May sixth 1978 and raised in Leningrad (now Saint Petersburg), Russia. I started training when I was only 15 years old and enter my first show the same year. My father Anatoly was my first trainer. He was competitive bodybuilder and he prepared me for the 1994 Leningrad Championships where I placed 2nd in “juniors under 16 years old” class. My father is still my trainer and I have to tell you – he looks just like you Milos!”

MS: “ Must be a good looking man…but as your trainer - he must be very knowledgeable.”

AF: “ Yes he is. Bodybuilding is his passion and when he trains me I never know what exercise I am going to do.
He developed many specific exercises characteristic only to him. He would study the body and apply his knowledge of anatomy and physiology and create completely new exercises. He always insists on strict form and feeling the targeted muscle group [ MS – that even sounds like me!]. He is very tuff trainer but I wouldn’t like it any other way.”
MS: “I also herd that another Russian pro bodybuilder helps you in your preparation.”

AF: “That is correct. His name is Alexander Vishnevsky and he has very important role in my contest preparation. He is wonderful friend and great coach. He gave me invaluable information from the very beginning of my career and he is still in my corner. Also, I trust his opinion and for example this year (2004) I waited for his advice to make a decision if I was going to compete at the Russian Grand Prix or not!

MS: “ Can you tell me more about that? Also, many people wondered why would you compete at the Russian Grand Prix but refuse to accept Mr. Olympia invitation as two shows were just six days apart?”

AF: “ First, let me tell you that I am very grateful to the people that got me special invitation for the 2004 Mr. Olympia. I was very honored that they considered me for the biggest IFBB professional competition in the world. But, I had several difficulties that I had to deal with. First, I had complicated reattachment surgery of my right pectoral muscle ahead of me. Surgery was scheduled for January in famous Grand Med Clinic in Saint Petersburg. This clinic is known to be among the best in the world and I was lucky to have doctor Alexander Vasilievich Shumillo as my personal surgeon. My surgery was expected to be ‘one of the kind’ and it was going to be published in medical journals.
However, doctors never expected severity of the actual tear. My pectoral muscle was torn in four places and miraculously surrounding muscles were still holding it in my chest region. Literally it could have been completely detached.”

MS: “Oh my God, how did you train for the 2003 Russian Grand Prix? Didn’t you tear it shortly after winning the European Championships?” [Note; I am talking about 2003 and not the 2004 Russian Grand Prix]

AF: “ To tell you the truth – it was almost impossible. I couldn’t even pose correctly let alone lift the weights. But, I gave my personal promise to the promoters of the three very important Russian amateur shows that I would compete later that year – and I was not going to break my word of promise.”

MS: “ Wait the second. You want to tell me that because of that - you also did not accept IFBB pro card that Wayne De Milia offered you day before the 2003 Russian Grand Prix? Even I told you that you could place in the top three and qualify for the Mr. Olympia – but you refused it!”

AF: “ Man has a one word and better never break it. I entered 2003 IFBB Russian Grand Prix as a bonus and not with intentions to seek qualification for the Mr. Olympia. I was just fortunate enough to place in the top three among all those great athletes. However, I was already on the posters for the three upcoming amateur competitions – all equally important to me. Cup of Atlantis was in my hometown Saint Petersburg, Ironworld was in Brinsk and finally Ironman was in Moscow. I have a lot of fans and therefore responsibility to be where they expect me to be.”

MS: “ Well, you just made another fan (me) for being such a class act. Let’s get back to your surgery.”

AF: “ Unfortunately, shortly after the surgery I started feeling ill. I was completely immobilized with the huge cast and somehow my skin was not able to breathe underneath it. Soon, I developed the major fever and doctors had to take off the cast. I had severe infection and was treated with very aggressive doses of combined antibiotics. Not to go too much into medical explanations – my recovery was much longer than expected. Six months I was not able to do anything. Than it took me two months just to be able to raise my right arm. It’s funny now to look back – but my right arm atrophied to 42 centimeters while my left was still at 54! My complete right side was almost gone – I could not believe the way I looked at the time. So, on the verge of complete depression I regrouped and decided to try to come back. My father was back in the gym watching every move I make and I made a pact with Vishnevsky that I would try to compete but only if he thinks that I could be good enough. I was extremely restricted in choices of the exercises and really I could not train my chest at all. Only the absolute minimum and even that with almost no weigh at all. My father’s carefully chosen exercises enabled me to still stimulate other muscle groups. Also, for the first time in my career I had to gain weight as I prepare for the show. Normally, I would come down from 140 kg (off season) to 128 kg (contest weight) and now I was tipping the scale at hardly 112 kg! I needed to put back at least 15 kilos as I am dieting – and that was completely new approach to me. One I was not so certain about. Only a week before the Grand Prix in Moscow (during the Mr. Olympia weekend) Vishnevsky gave me a green light to enter the show.”

MS: “ You were taking a huge chance. I know that upon refusing Olympia invitation for the 2003 (due to injury) you were offered to get special invitation for the 2004. Competing in the 2004 Russian Grand Prix was a risk especially as you were not going to be at your best. Why would you do that?”

AF: “ Everything I got in my life and my bodybuilding career – I’ve earned it. I just could not accept the invitation. I wanted to earn it. Again, I am so grateful to all the wonderful people that got me that invitation and I just hope I didn’t offend them in any way. I had a goal and thankfully I was able to accomplish it. Placing second to Ronnie Coleman was great feeling after everything I’ve been through this year.”

MS: “Congratulations Alex. You now put things in completely new prospective. Can you tell me exactly what your diet and training was leading up to the show?”

AF: “ Well, as I said - for diet I had to do completely new thing. I had to “force feed” and I felt that my stomach was expending like never before. I didn’t like that – but I had to do it. My next diet is certainly not going to be the same.
So this time I would start my day with 15 egg whites and bowl of either oatmeal, cream of wheat or rice. Also, in my first meal I would have fresh vegetables like cucumber, bell papers and tomatoes. That would be around 8 AM.
Next, I would go for my first workout at 9:30 AM and train for an hour and a half.
Immediately following the workout I would take some fruit (like orange) and lots of BCAA (branched chain aminos).
Meal number two (1 PM) would be at least 500 grams of boiled beef and another 15 egg whites with some rice.
I never measure the portions or count calories but my meals are always pretty much the same.
Next meal would be around 5 PM and this time I would replace the beef with boiled chicken breast and keep the same amount of rice and egg whites.
At 6:30 PM I would have my second training session followed with one hour of cardio.
My last meal is usually around 10 PM with 500-600 grams of fish or chicken and 18 egg whites but without any carbs.

My training was always 2 days ON one day OFF.
Monday: CHEST, UPPER ABS in the morning and BICEPS, LOWER ABS in the afternoon
Tuesday: SHOULDERS, UPPER ABS in the morning and HAMSTRINGS, CALVES (PM)
Wednesday: OFF, but doing one hour cardio
Thursday: BACK, TRAPS, UPPER ABS (AM) and later that day TRICEPS and LOWER ABS
Friday: only one workout and that is QUADRICEPS in the morning
Saturday: OFF and than continuing the same cycle.

MS: “Can you tell me the volume, sets, reps, choices of the exercises…

AF: “ My CHEST training was restricted and I worked it up to doing the three super set combinations.
First was 25-degree incline dumbbell flyes for 15 reps superseted with bench press for 10 reps.
I got stronger towards the end – but my maximal bench press was with 70 kilos (150 pounds)!?
I would perform total of 4 supersets like this.
Second superset combination was: low pulley cable crossover and smith machine incline press.
Also, I would complete 4 supersets with 10-12 repetitions per exercise.
Third and final combination was: decline smith machine press and dips (I could only done them with my father’s help). Three to four super-sets like these with 10 to 12 reps per each exercise.
[Note – Alexander was very strong bencher. He tore his pecks doing 220 kg (485 lbs) bench press for reps. His father tried to catch the weight after he herd loud muscle tear – and he severely ripped both of his forearms on the racks! Both Fedorov had to be hospitalized after that accident.]
For the upper abs he would do Roman chair sit-ups. Four sets total and as many reps as possible (never less than 25 per set).

BICEPS;
1. Alternate Dumbbell Curls 4-5 sets, 10-12 reps, pyramiding the weight up.
2. Preacher curl with straight bar 4-5 sets, 10-12 reps, pyramiding the weight up.
3. Concentration curls 4 sets, 10-12 reps
4. Standing unilateral (one arm at the time) cable Hammer curl with rope. 4 sets, 10-12 reps.

For the lower abs he would do hanging leg raises – 4 sets and as many reps as possible.
SHOULDERS:
For delts he performs another combination of the super sets.
First combination; dumbbell front raises and Smith machine press (with under-grip). Again he does 10-12 repetitions per exercise and repeats this combination 4 times (super sets).
Second combination: shoulder width upright rows and dumbbell side laterals (or cable side laterals) 10-12 reps per exercise and total of four super sets.
Final, third combination: rear delts with dumbbells and reverse cross over on the bench – 4 sets and 10-12 reps as usual

HAMSTRINGS
Leg curls – 4 sets and 10-12 reps
Standing cable leg curl (Anatoly version) – 4 sets and 10-12 reps
“Anatoly leg curl” – using only his own weight – 4 sets and 10-12 reps

CALVES
Seated calf raises – 4 sets, 15 reps
Standing or Leg Press machine calf raises – 4 sets and 15 reps per set.

BACK
Another combination of super sets.
First: one arm low pulley cable row, knelling on one leg, extending the other and bending all the way foreword.
[I had a pleasure of training with Alex and he showed me this super effective exercise…as well as some other Anatoly secrets] superseted with close grip pull down – 4 sets and 10-12 reps/each
Second combination: Barbell bent over rows (laying on the special bench) and low pulley cable rows 4 sets, 10-12 reps
Third combination: Wide grip pull downs behind the neck and “thingyerson” high pulley pullovers – 4 sets, 10-12 reps

TRICEPS
1. Standing high pulley cable push downs 4 sets, 10-12 reps
2. Dumbbell overhead extensions 4 sets, 10-12 reps
3. French Press with E-Z curl bar (lowering to nose level) 4 sets, 10-12 reps
4. Cable one arm push-downs (Anatoly style – with arc) 4 sets, 10-12 reps
QUADRICEPS:
Front squats 5 sets, 10 –12 reps pyramiding the weight up
Hack squats 4-5 sets 10-12 reps pyramiding the weight up
Leg extensions, one leg at the time, 4 sets and 12-15 repetitions
Cable – exercise for inner thighs (another Anatoly invention) 3 sets, 12-15 reps

This is example program but as I said – my father always finds new exercises or new methods of doing the same exercise…One thing is for sure – my father always makes me give my 100%.
I’ve learned to always give my all and to believe in what I am doing. As he tells me – if I don’t do anything wrong (in bodybuilding or life in general) I should be successful. It is simple but truthful logic I like to share with everyone.

MS: “ As I had a chance to train with you – I witnessed many different exercises that are not really conventional. Are you planning to share your training secrets with fans around the world?”

AF: “ I don’t have any secrets. I love to share my experiences with others and I am looking foreword to possibly give some seminars in the USA and other parts of the world. Also, I am planning to make a training video, as I would love to show some of the Anatoly’s characteristic exercises. I am certain people would enjoy some of them.”

MS: “What are your competitive plans for the next season?”

AF: “After all these years I am going to step on the Olympia stage. I know that some fans were expecting me to compete this year and they were disappointed that I didn’t come to Las Vegas. Well, I would give them my word that I am coming in 2005. They can count on that.”

MS: “What are your expectations?”

AF: “I am not hoping for anything in particular except that I would do the best that I can. I am taking always one step at the time. This is going to be my first Olympia and I am very excited about it. I am not competing against the others but against myself. My father told me that if I don’t know how to loose I would never know how to win…and I am prepared for everything. I respect all the great champions that make it to the Olympia. It is going to be my honor competing with them.”

MS: “Anything else you would like to add at the end?”

AF: “I would like to thank my mother Irina, my wife Natasha and her mother Olga for their undying support. My father Anatoly, Alexander Vishnevsky and my manager Misha for believing in me. Also, I am thankful to Grand Med clinic with their team of doctors, gentlemen by the name Sergey Nickeshine for his support and my sponsors – Universal Nutrition and Weider Publication.
At the end I would like to mention that in April of 2005 I would become proud father as my wife is expecting our first child. That would be by far my greatest accomplishment to date!”

History of the world points out legendary Macedonian hero Alexander as the GREAT one. World conqueror, fierce military commander and the warrior just got his match – in the world of bodybuilding.

Until the next time,

Milos

Bron: http://www.milossarcev.com

wtf, precontest 63eggwhites per dag!??

Ongelooflijk grote gast :eek: , heb hem gesproken (en fototje met hem gemaakt) op de Fibo. Gaat zeker de top 10 van de Mr.O binnenkomen dit jaar :dance:. Misschien is hij al in staat om voor een verassing te zorgen ;)

Dave Hawk zei:
Ongelooflijk grote gast :eek: , heb hem gesproken (en fototje met hem gemaakt) op de Fibo. Gaat zeker de top 10 van de Mr.O binnenkomen dit jaar :dance:. Misschien is hij al in staat om voor een verassing te zorgen ;)

kun je die foto misschien hier posten?

Heb hem jammer genoeg :( niet meer digitaal nadat ik er een echte foto van hem laten drukken. Hij heeft een sponsor-contract bij Universal, stonden trouwens nog een paar van die oost-europese monstors :eek: in die stand waar we denk ik nog wel wat van zullen horen ;).

Stond een gast die ik net bijna net zo goed vond als Fedorov, zal ff zoeken wie dat ook al weer was.

Dave Hawk zei:
Heb hem jammer genoeg :( niet meer digitaal nadat ik er een echte foto van hem laten drukken. Hij heeft een sponsor-contract bij Universal, stonden trouwens nog een paar van die oost-europese monstors :eek: in die stand waar we denk ik nog wel wat van zullen horen ;).

Stond een gast die ik net bijna net zo goed vond als Fedorov, zal ff zoeken wie dat ook al weer was.

Misschien die Alexander Vishnevsky uit het interview?

Heb hem al, het was Rolandas Pocius 2e op de WK 2004 bij de zwaar gewichten :thumbs:. Ook een geweldig potentieel en zeker ook kanshebber voor een top 10 bij de Mr.O :cool: , had hem eigenlijk dit jaar al wel als pro verwacht :dunno: .

sure he has the mass,maar ik vind hem wel wat A-symmetrisch,zn abs zijn n rommeltje en hoe zit ut met die gescheurde borstspier,das ook nie echt n voordeel.. top 10? maybe

Voor die gene die niet weten wie Alexander Fedorov is ;)

[afbeelding niet meer beschikbaar][afbeelding niet meer beschikbaar]
[afbeelding niet meer beschikbaar][afbeelding niet meer beschikbaar]

Hij moet alleen stoppen met die eeuwige brons tan.

Lijkt zwarte piet wel!!!!

Kun je hem ook inhuren op 5 december ???
Ziet er zo wel triest uit :D

Big Steve zei:
Deze kan wat moeilijker door de schoorsteen ben ik bang :D

:roflol:

ik vind em ook erg goed, die Fedorov: check die triceps, echt mega. en die tan: ach ja, dat vind ik sowieso al nie echt wat :D

zijn borst is te klein en zijn rug is alles behalve symmetrisch, nee deze gozer gaat ronnie niet van de troon stoten (zal zelfs nooit O winnen denk ik.)

Back
Naar boven