Bezoekers in dit topic

DutchVince

Ripped Bodybuilder
Elite Member
15 jaar lid
Lid geworden
18 jan 2005
Waardering
Echt heel bijzonder: ze is op de foto's 84 jaar oud !!! (2003)
Moraal van het verhaal: je bent nooit te oud om te beginnen :)

http://www.riversgym.com/mrs_morj.htm

Het volgende interview is al wat ouder (1997)
Als je Google-t op Morjorie Newlin vind je er nog meer.

"I just can't go and find somebody to ask for help every time I want to lift a finger", says Morjorie Newlin, explaining why she took up bodybuilding.  

We were at a gym in Philadelphia where Newlin was training for the National Physique Committee's Philadelphia Bodybuilding Championships.  Newlin sat down at the leg-press machine, bracing her feet against a platform connected to 180 pounds of cast iron.  She pushed it back and forth 12 times, then paused and did three more sets of 12.  Not bad for a 78-year-oldgrandmother of four who started weightlifting just six years ago.

Newlin, who has won 25 trophies so far, said it was never her intention to bare her sculptured muscles in public.  She began lifting weights to become strong enough to handle everyday tasks, like keeping her cat supplied with kitty litter.  A few years ago, her supermarket had a sale on 50-pound bags, but Newlin couldn't find anyone to lift them off the shelf.  That's no longer a problem.  Nor is the upkeep of her two-story home, "I always felt I could do whatever I want to," she said, "and now I know I can".  Newlin shovels snow, cuts grass and hauls a 50-pound fan up from the basement every spring.  "I couldn't do all this before without being worn out."  Newlin always enjoyed exercising.  After finishing her workday as a registered nurse, she'd often stop into a health club for a stint on the treadmill or stationary bike.  But after retiring in 1987 to care for her terminally ill husband, Newlin decided to take up weight training. She knew resistance training with free weights and machines builds strength, stamina and endurance, and it prevents osteoporosis.

One day Newlin entered Rivers Gym, a Mecca for serious bodybuilders, then owned by Bob Rivers.  It wasn't long before Rivers spotted her commitment and potential.  "Rain, shine, cold weather - - I'd look up and she'd be there," he recalled.  

Rivers took charge of Newlin's training.  At first he was concerned about pushing her too hard, but as Newlin's strength increased weekly, Rivers noticed she could perform feats that people many years younger couldn't.  "It was amazing to watch a 72-year-old body in that condition," he noted.  Rivers decided that it was time for Newlin to compete, but when he showed her the teeny-weeny bikini she'd be wearing to display her muscles, she said, "No way!!"  Then she reconsidered.

"I knew the contest meant a lot to him," said Newlin, "so I thought, 'I'll do this once - - but I'm nhot going to do it again!'"  She won.  "When the judge announced her age, the audience went haywire," Rivers recalled.  Newlin had a different take: "I thought they were applauding because the old lady made it onto the stage", she joked. 

After that victory, Rivers stepped up Newlin's training, mindful to constantly ask her how she felt.  "She was bench- pressing 65 pounds when she was 73 years old and 85 pounds at 74," Rivers said.  When Rivers retired, Newlin, then 75, was doing squats with a 100-pound barbell across her shoulders.

Newlin credits her mother for teaching her to set goals and achieve them.  Born in Philadelphia to immigrants form Barbados, Newlin lost her father when she was 5.  Her mother worked as a seamstress to support Morjorie and her two sisters.  Newlin earned a nursing degree and married in 1946.  She and her husband, Raymond, a railroad electrician, staggered their work hours so one of them was always at home with their four children.  

Laatst bewerkt:
Geweldig dat ze op die leeftijd nog aan sport doet, de meest op die leeftijd zitten al achter het raam tussen de planten.

Dit is nog eens de juiste instelling!

Is it a bird?
is it a plane?
no its supergran!!!
:D
maar serieus: grote bewondering

Zo he wat een super knappe prestatie van die oma :thumbs: :)

oma ziet er nog heel strak uit voor dr leeftijd

knap hoor :thumbs: is wat anders dan zoon kwijlende bejaarde van 84

boogie zei:
hahahahahahaha :roflol:

Nou boogie, je hebt je meerdere gevonden vrees ik.. :cool: [afbeelding niet meer beschikbaar]

Misschien moeten er dan maar wedstrijden voor bejaarden georganiseerd gaan worden...

Wow, ziet er goed uit :D

Ik wist niet dat je er op die leeftijd nog zo uit kan zien. Echt top.

Back
Naar boven