AndroidHealthClinic

Oud nieuws voor mij, revolutie voor anderen...

Bezoekers in dit topic

Deejay_Spike

Freaky Bodybuilder
15 jaar lid
Lid geworden
24 okt 2002
Waardering
Bryce Lane on "working to failure"
------------------------------------------------------------

You never work to "failure" even if you think you are. You can't voluntarily do it. As Hobman said once "you have simply chosen a spot to quit for the day".

"Failure" is a terrible standard since it relies on so many variables. Motivation is the big one, and there are others. One day you are into it and some days you aren't. Such subjective things are not good standards to use. Also if you insist on going hard at every session you will develop a "mental resistance" to the work that you may not even be aware of. You will find failure coming sooner and sooner and you attitude will sour fast. I've seen this happen many times (with me too).

Tired is not an objective thing. I used to get more tired sitting in a chair all day than in any workout I've done. I'd go in after sitting down all day and not move sh*t, for psychological reasons, other days I could move a hell of alot more. Motivation can mean everything. Its just a lousy way to govern what you are doing. I prefer to simply plan small increases over time with periods of light practice to recover and work on technical things.

"preparation is 95% of victory", going balls to the wall all the time is not preparation, its persecution.

I found plain old high volume (bench, squat, pull or trap-bar, chins, dips for 6 reps x 12-14 sets) and Milk MUCH better for adding mass, or lots of singles and doubles (heaps-o-practice) is good for getting stronger. Simple cycle arrangements are good also. I used two simple linear cycle of three weeks in length to work up to a one arm clean and press with 135# (more now). Didn't have one "blood sweating" day for the entire run and still got alot stronger.

Some days you can also deal with alot more pain and discomfort than others, with most humans its all over the place. If you regulate your workouts by this, they will be all over the place too. Pain does not stimulate muscle growth or strength increases.

As an after thought it occurs to me that I like weightlifting. Its fun!

Lifting something to the point of trauma even once every five-ten days (Mentzers notion) is not my idea of fun, it also gives me no room to practice and improve at the lift.

You can't "baby yourself" with this stuff but its important not to go off the deep end the other way either. If there are better ways to become bigger or stronger that do not require this sort of cultish nonsense, then why not use them.

I simply say that I'm going to "work on" my squat honestly for an hour. I vary the weight all over the place. If I find I'm struggling or doing it wrong I drop the weight and then creep up again. It usually comes out to that many sets but there is no reason it has to. You tend to get VERY good at the lift you are working on.

I think this is far safer than going until you can't go anymore then resting ten days. In ten days you can forget how to squat.

This is the most successful mass-gaining workout I ever tried. I used sets of six at about 60-80% if I felt strong it was more like 80%, if I needed to back off for a couple of sets it went back down to 65% or so. I walked in with a gallon of skim or whole milk and walked back out with either a half gallon or an empty. I drank during the workout. I was pretty causual about it no psyching, histrionics or pain worship "iron voodoo" garbage. Just
lotsa lifting. Use whatever exercises you want as long as you include a squat, some kind of pull and a heavy press.

Four days a week:

Mon/Thurs

Squat for one hour, about 10-16 sets 2-3 min between sets. Do a set, rest, when you feel like you can go again, no stopwatch, no big deal.

Tues/Fri

Morning-Pulls, high pulls, fast deadlifts same system as above.
Evening- Bench, same system as above.

I felt BETTER not worse after each hour workout.

Bryce

Heeft iemand al van Bryce Lane gehoord? i like his ideas :D

Back
Naar boven