Elite Member
15 jaar lid
Lid geworden
4 jul 2005
Waardering
Mr. Olympia

1979: 8ste
1980: 8ste
1981: 3de (1ste Columbu / Dickerson 2de)
1982: 6de
1984: 9de
1985: 7de
1986: 11de

"I really believe attitude monitors talent. You have to take what you want. There has to be a certain amount of killer instinct present. You can't take no-grow for an answer. This strategy can be applied in any venture."

"Some people like to live without too much risk. They're satisfied leading a safe existence. This attitude of caution infiltrates into their goals. Every successful athlete or businessperson enjoys taking calculated risks. You have to. Especially in the gym when you're squatting 500 for reps and you can't get one more but grunt out ten. Your nose starts bleeding, you fall into the rack and that's set one."

"The first thought that comes to mind when the sets become tough is that I cannot lose. I refuse to lose and be a failure. It's much more desirable to leave the gym saying, "I won!"

"It's not a competition between you and someone else. You may not do your best and still win. But when you are competing with yourself you have to beat your own record. When I was in my twenties I didn't think about it much, but when I was in my mid-thirties I came to realize my own mortality. Let me explain. In my twenties, after doing more reps than I had planned on a set of squats, I'd fall to the floor and cover my eyes. The light hurt them and it felt like there was someone stabbing knives into my legs. There was always severe oxygen debt, but I was confident I'd "come back". In my thirties I'd lie on the floor sometimes and think, "God damn! What if I don't come back?"

"When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate in any field are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent."

"I don't believe in luck. Luck comes to men of action."

"I used to like putting a little space between plates on the bar. They'd jingle when I came up out of a squat, making a deep-throated roar. The old 45s were the best. The sound would pass through my spine and ears. It was like a car engine revving up. It would help me time my movement. A cue to go down for the next rep."

"Six-hundred pounds on squats became a moderate-rep weight. One month before the '84 Olympia I did 635 for 12 reps"

Laatst bewerkt:
nice....
Keeps me going.

"When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate in any field are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent."

tom-platz-quote-promise-gym.jpg

Back
Naar boven