RIP Ernie "Big Cat" Ladd & Ray "Thunder" Stern

Bezoekers in dit topic

Sephirothsnake

Colossal Veteran
10 jaar lid
Lid geworden
12 sep 2006
Waardering
De afgelopen week zijn 2 worstel legendes overleden.

raystern.jpg

stern_ray.jpg

Ray "Thunder" Stern, who died early Tuesday morning at age 74, may have been the greatest of all professional wrestling's self-made men. "The Million Dollar Man" had nothing on the success of Stern, from aviation to bodybuilding to real estate.

The title of his autobiography kind of says it all -- Power of Thunder: The Rags to Riches Story of One Man's Adventure of Fame, Fortune, Romance & Fitness (Wolff Creative Group, 1994).

Born Walter Bookbinder in Brooklyn, New York on January 12, 1933 to a cab driver and a homemaker, he grew up in modest surroundings. "We lived in a small apartment," Stern told the The Dallas Morning News in 2005. "Eight members of my extended family and I all lived there, with only one bathroom for all of us." He developed a love of reading, especially about far-off places.

Bookbinder joined the Merchant Marines at the age of 13 under the name Paul Davis. It was there that he fell in love with bodybuilding -- legend has it that Stern would carry a pair of 50-pound dumbbells in his duffel bag for impromptu workouts.

"I broke into wrestling in 1950 at age 17 in New York City, working for Rudy Dusek. The only thing bigger than wrestling in those days was Milton Berle, so I quickly became a 'star,'" Stern told Lou Thesz' biographer Kit Bauman. "I worked five nights a week, two of them on TV, and everyone thought I was a celebrity -- except my parents. I was making $10 a match, and half of that seemed to go for travel. My parents couldn't figure it out, how come I was this 'star' and wasn't bringing home enough money to carry my share. 'You're a bum,' my dad used to tell me."

Bookbinder would wrestle for 16 years, first under his real name, and then under his mother's maiden name, Stern. The nickname? "I became known for these spectacular aerial maneuvers in the ring," Stern told the Dallas newspaper. "So my promoters nicknamed me 'Thunder.'"

In California, he met Joe Gold of Gold's Gym fame, and another well-known workout guru, Armand Tanny. They would be a heavy influence on Stern, and convince him that his riches would lie in California.

On the west coast, Stern would get into bodybuilder further, befriending other future pro wrestlers like Pepper Gomez and Fritz Von Goering. During his career, he would hold versions of the World and Tag Team titles. In the early days of Roy Shire's San Francisco promoter, Stern would battle Ray Stevens at the top of the cards.

"I wrestled for 16 years and really can't say why I stayed in it so long. When Claire (his second wife) and I got married, I knew that I wanted roots, a home life, so I announced that I was retiring. Then I got to looking around at my situation; here I was driving a new Cadillac with gold wire-rim wheels and wearing these sharp clothes and being treated like a celebrity, and it came to me that I couldn't do anything that would enable me to live that same quality of life. So I stayed in wrestling another 10 years," Stern told Bauman. "We used to sit around and laugh at the squares -- you know, the people working a 9-to-5 and busting their ass for a house in the suburbs and making insurance payments and going to some nowhere place for two weeks a year in the summer. Living a routine. Ugh!"

Away from the ring, Stern was a pioneer in the health club field, and opened America's first co-ed gym in San Francisco with his then-wife Clare, and first health club with a nursery so parents could exercise. The money he made in the fitness field allowed him to further enhance his financial situation through real estate and rental properties.
"My discipline for fitness and body building has always provided me with the competitiveness, and drive, needed for my successes," Stern told BestAreoNet.com.

Up until recently, Stern and grappling great Red Bastien would still get together on a regular basis to workout when both were in Dallas.

The main passion of Stern's life was flying. He first learned to fly in the early 1950s, taking two weeks' worth of lessons in Tampa, Florida. Shortly thereafter, he bought a Bellanca Cruise Air, and when he was ready to upgrade, Stern got a Beechcraft Twin Bonanza. The planes allowed him to expand his wrestling work, traveling the continent for bouts.

"He maintains a heavy schedule of bouts on the East coast," explained a 1961 promo for Stern in a Hillsdale, Calif., newspaper. "Wrestling one night, flying his own plane, returns in time the following day to conduct business in Hillsdale."

"The Twin Bonanza was followed by a succession of Cessna 310s, Aero Commanders and Riley Rockets -- even a DeHaviland Dove. Ray also developed an interest in aerobatic flying," explained the BestAreoNet.com website. "He bought two Czechoslovakian aerobatic airplanes and traveled to Czechoslovakia five times to train with their national aerobatic champions. His aerobatic flying reached a level that allowed him to be named as a backup for the world aerobatic championships."

He found a home in Dallas, and created Stern Air out of Addison Airport. The charter flight service had the ability to switch from cargo to passenger to air ambulance quickly. Stern also developed a reputation of being able to get the job done, and was called upon for difficult flights to the Middle East or El Salvador.

In 2000, Stern was honoured by his peers with the Iron Mike Mazurki Award at the Cauliflower Alley Club reunion in Las Vegas; the award was created to celebrate wrestlers who succeeded outside of professional wrestling.
In 2005, Stern received the Senator Hugh Farley New York State Awards from the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum. At the induction weekend, Stern raved about seeing old friends again, like Canadian Billy Two Rivers, whom he hadn't seen in 51 years. "I was back talking to him yesterday like it was 51 hours ago," Stern said.

Stern raved about the city of Amsterdam, NY, and the efforts of the PWHF. "I have been all over the world, many, many times, but the respect, the appreciation, that is being shown here to the wrestlers is beyond anything I truly have ever imagined," Stern said. "It's just overwhelming to be treated this way. It's beyond anything that I could have imagined."

He admitted that his wrestling days were well in the past, and joked about his own declining mobility. "I've been trying to tell my wife for eight years what a great athlete I was. 'Oh, you're so clumsy, you're the clumsiest thing! You break everything in the house, you can't get out of your own way, you're just helpless!'" Stern said. "Red tried to help me, but she won't believe Red Bastien. So we coming here, I hope that maybe Debi will be convinced — I've been telling her for eight years that I was a great athlete."

In an email announcing her husband's passing, his wife Debi said, "Ray will be remembered for so many of his accomplishments and his incredible spirit, drive and dedication to anything he set out to achieve. He was a very unusual man with visions and the energy and know how to make things happen. He lived life to its fullest and I am fortunate to have had the most perfect marriage for 10 amazing years to the most wonderful man on earth. Ray left pieces of himself in all our hearts. Thank you for the love and support you have given us."

- with files from Steve Johnson

[Afbeelding niet meer beschikbaar]
eladd.jpg

WWE Hall Of Famer "Big Cat" Ernie Ladd Passes Away
Date Added: March 11, 2007
Story By: Daniel Pena
sources: Wrestling Observer, PWInsider.com

The News Star out of Monroe, Louisiana is reporting that WWE Hall of Famer "Big Cat" Ernie Ladd has passed away. Ladd had been battling colon cancer, which spread to his stomach and bones for the past three plus years. Due to knee problems, he'd largely been confined to a wheelchair. Here is their story:

Ernie Ladd, NFL Hall of Fame football player and wrestler, has died
By Nick Deriso

Ernie Ladd, who rose to fame as a football player but made his name nationally as a wrestler, died overnight, according to family members.

Ladd, 68, had battled cancer — first in his colon, then later in his stomach and bones — since 2004. Born Nov. 28, 1938, in Rayville, but raised in Orange, Texas, he worked through his final years as a pastor in the Louisiana town of Franklin.

Funeral arrangements were still pending today, according to Roslyn Ladd, his wife of more than 45 years.

Selected 15th in the American Football League draft by San Diego out of Grambling College, Ladd appeared in three of that now-defunct league's championship games, winning the 1963 title.

"We were like a family," Ladd told The News-Star in May 2005. "We were one of the first integrated teams, with black players and white players as roommates."

He had entered professional football as a heralded 1960 first-team all-league defensive college lineman under former Grambling coach Eddie Robinson. There, Ladd helped GSU to its first-ever Southwestern Athletic Conference championship.

At 6-9 and 315 pounds, he was arguably the biggest GSU star to ever play for Robinson, who remains the all-time winningest football coach in Division I history.

"The first year he was here, he taught me a lesson," Robinson once said. "He told me how good he was. Sure, I'd say. Then he hurt somebody. I'd feel sorry for the people he was tackling."
Elected to four straight AFL All-Star Games from 1962-1965, he later played with the Houston Oilers and the National Football League's Kansas City Chiefs. While with the Chiefs, he reunited with future Pro Football Hall of Famer Junious "Buck" Buchanan, another Grambling product, and was on the roster for both of Kansas City's Super Bowl appearances.

Ladd began wrestling as a sideline during his rookie AFL season, and found the payday and fame so alluring that eventually he gave up pro football. It was there that he picked up a nickname that would remain with him for life: "Big Cat."

Ladd's storylines resonated during wrestling's earliest flowering as a national attraction, not to mention signature moves that included the "guillotine drop" and a boot to the face. Rivalries with Andre the Giant and Dusty Rhodes helped shape wrestling's 1970s persona.

Today, he's the only person in both the American Football League and World Wrestling Federation halls of fame. Ladd is also a 1994 inductee into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame, and joined the San Diego Hall of Champions in 2004.

Ladd's knees were so damaged — his first surgery came while still in college — that in his final years, he walked down long staircases backward. But Ladd's boundless spirit was unbowed by his body's failures, as he displayed a touch of humor even after that cancer diagnosis.

"The doctor told me I had three-to-six months to live," Ladd said in 2005, then at the mid-way point in his nearly four year battle with the disease. "I told him Dr. Jesus has the verdict on me."

Ladd was a father of four and grandfather to over a dozen more.

Maak er 3 van....

Former WWF Star Bad News Brown Passes Away
Date Added: March 06, 2007
source: SLAM! Wrestling

SLAM! Wrestling out of Canada is reporting that former WWF star Bad News Brown has passed away. Here is the article:

Bad News Allen dies suddenly

Former Olympic judo bronze medalist Allen Coage -- better known to wrestling fans as Bad News Allen and Bad News Brown -- has died suddenly. He was 63.

Coage died early Tuesday morning in Calgary at Rockyview Hospital, having been rushed to the hospital, complaining of chest pains.

Three weeks ago, Coage underwent hip replacement surgery and had been making progress on his recovery. Monday night, he was home alone and called longtime friend Gerry Morrow, complaining of chest pains. Morrow got him to the hospital.

Coage broke into professional wrestling through the New Japan Pro Wrestling organization, training in Japan and spending the first few years after the 1976 Montreal Olympics in that country.

He was a star in the Calgary Stampede promotion as Bad News Allen, having bloody feuds with the likes of The Dynamite Kid, Archie 'The Stomper' Gouldie, Bret Hart and others.

In the WWF of the late 1980s, he was known as Bad News Brown, and feuded with Bret Hart, Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper.

He had been working the last number of years as a security guard at a mall; "Teenagers are a pain in the ass. You always have to run them off," he said in July 2006. Apparently they didn't know who they were messing with. "It don’t matter to them, they're tough."

Coage is survived by his wife Helen and their children.

badnews.jpg

Doden lijstje van 2007 tot nu toe:

Black Shadow . 82 March 8, 2007 Pneumonia
Bad News Allen Coage. 63 March 6, 2007 Heart Attack click
Ray "Thunder" Stern. 74 March 6, 2007 click
Tracy Richards. 50 February 25, 2007 Cancer
Mike Awesome. 42 February 17, 2007 Suicide (Hanging)
Bam Bam Bigelow. 45 January 19, 2007 Unknown
Cowboy Lang. January ??, 2007

Vooral veteranen maar Awsome en Bam Bam zijn toch te vroeg gegaan.

Doden lijstje van 2007 tot nu toe:

Black Shadow . 82 March 8, 2007 Pneumonia
Bad News Allen Coage. 63 March 6, 2007 Heart Attack click
Ray "Thunder" Stern. 74 March 6, 2007 click
Tracy Richards. 50 February 25, 2007 Cancer
Mike Awesome. 42 February 17, 2007 Suicide (Hanging)
Bam Bam Bigelow. 45 January 19, 2007 Unknown
Cowboy Lang. January ??, 2007

Vooral veteranen maar Awsome en Bam Bam zijn toch te vroeg gegaan.

damn ze vallen als de vliegen :(

Big Cat had precies last van BT.

Hall of Famer Arnold Skaaland Passes Away
Date Added: March 14, 2007
source: WWE.com

"Golden Boy" Arnold Skaaland, a WWE Hall of Famer and member of the WWE family for more than a half-century, passed away Tuesday at age 82. Here is WWE.com's report:

Arnold Skaaland passes away
Written: March 14, 2007

“Golden Boy” Arnold Skaaland, a WWE Hall of Famer and a member of the WWE family for over a half-century, passed away Tuesday at the age of 82, with his wife, Betty, by his side.

Arnie was involved in virtually every aspect of sports-entertainment, from grappling to managing to promoting. During the era of the World Wide Wrestling Federation, Skaaland was a stockholder of Capitol Wrestling Corporation, and a producer of live events at the Westchester County Center.

As a wrestler, Skaaland was fearless, taking on much larger men and always giving them a fight. In 1967, he and Spiros Arion won the now-defunct WWE United States Tag Team Championship. He also served as the referee for the famous 1962 match in Japan between “Classy” Freddie Blassie and Rikidozan.

Another generation of fans may remember Skaaland as a manager. He regularly accompanied Bruno Sammartino to the ring during his reigns as WWWF Champion, and later led Bob Backlund to the same title. Perhaps Skaaland’s most controversial moment occurred while managing Backlund; on Dec. 23, 1983, he threw in the towel for Backlund after the Iron Sheik trapped the titlist in the camel clutch – ending the clean-living kingpin’s long reign as WWE Champion.

Skaaland was a legend in all facets of sports-entertainment, and in 1994, he became a member of the first full class inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.

Tja, het kan snel gaan. R.I.P. voor alle wrestlers

Back
Naar boven