XXL Nutrition

The Before and After Haox - Rick Silverman (1 bezoeker)

Bezoekers in dit topic

MonsterStrength

Monstrous Giant
Elite Member
15 jaar lid
Lid geworden
13 jul 2003
Waardering
[Afbeelding niet meer beschikbaar]

"Before and after what?" That's what I always ask myself when I see those ads that feature fat slobs who've transformed themselves into sleek Adonises within a standard six to twelve week period just by using "Miracle Muscle" or some other product touted as the next secret to a guy's becoming Mr. Olympia. Women aren't spared either. In only the blink of an eye, the belly that was hanging over their bikini bottom has disappeared and they now resemble a fitness competitor who's ready to step on stage. It's all crap. Well, okay, maybe not all of it, but suffice it to say, "Caveat Emptor!"

The fact of the matter is, many of the various dietary supplements currently marketed are quality products, which, when used in conjunction with proper diet and an intelligent training regimen, will provide the user with an improvement in his or her physique and, possibly, overall health.

The frustration comes when the user, tricked into buying into the fantasy created by the advertisement, does not experience the unbelievable results that have been practically guaranteed by the "before and after" claims of John and Jane Doe, whose results, by the way, may be "exceptional", as noted in fine print at the very bottom of the page.

The real "trick" is in the photography which involves body positioning, lighting, clothing style and body hair modifications.

This aspect of the before-and-after phenomenon was first brought to my attention in an article in one of the professional medical journals to which I subscribe. The article discussed the "photographic facelift" by picturing several patients who appeared to have had undergone a surgical procedure carrying a price-tag in the thousands of dollars. In reality, the patients had not had any procedure performed at all. Rather, they were photographed "before" without make-up, with flat lighting, and positioned to accentuate signs of facial aging.

Their "after" photos were much more flattering in that the women wore make-up, smiled, and were positioned more favorably. It was sort of like an actor or actress always facing the camera with their "best side." The results demonstrate how a talented photographer can manipulate a setting to the distinct advantage of the subject.

These particular photos also demonstrated the importance of scrutiny on the part of the reader. Take a look at my photographs, which illustrate this same phenomenon. My "before" picture was taken the same night I arrived home from a surgical expedition to South America. I hadn't shaved for two days, was carrying my winter weight as well as my winter fur, and was wearing a pair of baggy gym shorts. The picture was taken using an Olympus 2000 digital camera using a flash; perhaps you can see the remote control in my right hand. Pretty awful!!

The "after" picture was NOT taken twelve weeks later, NOT six weeks later --but SIX DAYS later! And that was only because I didn't have time to take it the next day. I shaved my face, shaved my body and stood up straight the way my mother always told me to. I used the same camera with much more flattering lighting in a photography studio setting in my office. I might have been able to improve the lighting a bit more, but I didn't have time. Again, the remote control is in my right hand. I had not dieted during this six-day period or used any revolutionary supplement. I did, however, suck in my gut!

"No way!" you say? It's true. Granted, I'm not in my best competition condition. It would take me about six weeks of dieting to accomplish that. So that's why the advertisements aren't necessarily lying when they describe the miraculous transitions which have supposedly occurred. What they're doing is using individuals such as myself who've trained for a long while and are in very decent shape to begin with. In other words, they're not nearly in the condition their "before" pictures might suggest. Some of those individuals may also be spending two hours on a stationary bicycle every day. They may also use anabolic steroids or other illegal supplements. But, of course, that's never mentioned. Clearly (according to the advertiser), their transformation is completely the result of Brand-X Dietary Supplement.

Now that you know the real scoop, try a little experiment. Take your own "before" and "after" photos. You can accomplish wondrous effects if you suck in your gut and stand up straight. Combing your hair, shaving and taking a bath help, too! Be sure to pay attention to the background; don't stand in front of a bedroom door that has six articles of clothing hanging from it and the bag of garbage you forgot to take to the trash bin. For advantageous lighting, take the picture in the evening, indoors using low artificial light. After you see the results you'll think twice before you succumb to another "before and after" scam.

Ja man, LOL!

Tsja ongelovelijk wat je kan bereiken met een paar trucjes. Ik wist wel dat je heel wat kon doen, maar dat je zo'n verschil kan maken verbaast me wel echt.

Haha ! How true!

Belichting en houding is heel belangrijk.

Ik hoop dat alles wat in dat artikel gezegd wordt toch algemeen geweten is, anders word je flink geripped door de supplementen industrie ;)

Spike heeft dit ook eens gedaan.

Idd, was ongelooflijk hoeveel leden erin getrapt zijn (ik ook overigens)

Mooi stukje, vrij logisch ook!

Deejay_Spike zei:
was dus ook naar aanleiding van dit artikel dat MS juist heeft gepost!
Heb je die foto's toevallig nog staan? post ze anders nog ff :)

Back
Naar boven