Vice Anderson-Lujan's Deadlift Routine

Bezoekers in topic

MonsterStrength

Monstrous Giant
Elite Member
+15 jaar member
Lid geworden
13 jul 2003
I train my deadlift twice a week with Tuesday being my dynamic workout and Saturday being my max effort workout. Tuesday is where I focus on explosive speed. I don’t focus on moving maximal weight because that is what I do on Saturday. Tuesday workouts are designed where I use anywhere from 50-70% of my 1RM, changing the percentage I use each week. The reason I go lighter is to work on technique and speed. It also spares the back from being overworked.

All of my Tuesday workouts incorporate the use of the Squat and Deadlift Sling. I have being using the Squat and Deadlift Sling for months and all I can say are good things about it. Mike Berry designed this bungee apparatus for those lifters who train at a commercial gym or do not have access to a band platform. The Sling ties around the bottom of the risers of a power rack and then the bungee bands are tied to the bar. As you begin to raise the bar, the bungee tension kicks in and gets stronger every inch you move the bar higher. The Sling works by adding accommodating resistance and will aid in your pursuit of strength.

On Tuesday, I alternate each week between Sling Deadlifts off pins and Sling Deadlifts off blocks. Off pins is where I do a deadlift off the pins of the power rack at its lowest setting so the 45lb. plates are off the floor 2-3”. Deadlifting off blocks are great because it works on your starting strength. I also take no more than 60 seconds between sets. I like moving fast to keep in shape and get a little more cardio work in.

The deadlift has 2 components to the lift: 1 - off the floor to your knees and 2 - from your knees to the lockout. Tuesday as you can see is to develop the first part of the lift. Saturday is where I use maximal weight and work on both components of the lift, especially the lockout. I do five week cycles like the following:

Week 1: Squats

Week 2: Good Mornings

Week 3: Squats

Week 4: Good Mornings

Week 5: Rack Pulls

For all three of those lifts, I do a different variation of each every time I lift. For example, when I do squats I will use different band tension in combination with squatting between different heights and different rep schemes. This allows me to work with more weight at different parts of the lift which will have a tremendous carry over to the Deadlift. I do sort of the same thing with Good Mornings and Rack Pulls.

Accessory lifts are key in getting your strength up. I use a lot of accessory lifts with some of my favorites being: Straight-Legged Deadlifts, Glute/Ham Raises, Pull-Thru, Adductors, Leg-Press, and Calves. I also train abdominals every workout. You must have strong abdominals to help keep your form in any lift while stabilizing and protecting your spine. Having strong abs will prevent you from rounding your back in the deadlift. I also do cardio after every workout and stretch twice a day.

It is important that every athlete plays an active role in the recovery process. I recommend chiropractic, massage, ice, hot & cold showers, eating a healthy diet with extra antioxidants, drink plenty of water and lots of stretching.

Here is an example of a typical workout session:

Tuesday-Dynamic Day-60 second breaks

Sling Deadlifts off blocks: 8 sets x 1 rep

Leg Press: 3 sets x 10-12 reps

Glute/Ham Raise: 3 sets x 8-10 reps

Donkey Calves: 3 sets x 15-20 reps

Kneeling Ab Pulldowns: 3 sets x 10 reps

Cardio on elliptical for 10-15 mins

Saturday-Max Effort Day

Good Mornings with bands: Work up to a 3 rep max

Straight-Leg Deadlifts: 4 sets x 6 reps

Pull-Thru: 2 sets x 20 reps

Adductors: 3 sets x 10-12 reps

Standing Ab Pulldowns: 4 set x 8-10 reps

Donkey Calves: 4 sets x 10-15 reps

Cardio on elliptical for 10-15 mins

Hope some of this information gives you lifters out there some ideas.

If any questions regarding training, diet, or supplementation, feel free to contact me at: ChiroVice@gmail.com

Lift Heavy & Live Strong, Vice Anderson-Lujan

Naar boven